Rehydration of latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ossian

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Hope you're all well!

I found my tin of SG Navy Flake being bone dry after being opened for far to long. Now I'm starting to rehydrate it, but I've read here on the forum that latakia blends can lose its flavour with rehydration! So I'm just wondering, have you guys had any experience or speculations on that?

Regards,
Ossian :lol:

My preferred method of adding moisture to a dry blend is to do it bowl-by-bowl. Load your pipe with the blend, cup your hand around the top of the bowl, and breathe into the pipe 4-10 times, based on how dry it is. This will add moisture back without overdoing it and ruining your tobacco. Might not work for everyone, but it's worked for me for many years.

Thank's tilt! Was just worried because of the extreme dryness and the fact taht I really love the taste of it!

And also, how I envy you across the Atlantic with all your great blends to those eeeextremely low prices!!! (Compared to Sweden, $31 for a goddamn tin!!!! Drives me crazy!) :evil:

Anyways, let's see how it goes tomorrow! ;)

Ossian":vlinft5f said:
Thank's tilt! Was just worried because of the extreme dryness and the fact taht I really love the taste of it!

And also, how I envy you across the Atlantic with all your great blends to those eeeextremely low prices!!! (Compared to Sweden, $31 for a goddamn tin!!!! Drives me crazy!) :evil:

Anyways, let's see how it goes tomorrow! ;)
Actually, good tip, Tilt... I'll have to remember that one.

...Ossian, we're trying to keep that kind of taxation crap off our tobacco here. We'll see how it goes.

Hehe the next time I visit the U.S, I'm going on a tobacco-spree, buying everything I can get my hands on! The last time I was fortunate to visit Boston, and went straight to Peretti... But the clerk was not exactly welcoming, being kind of blasé. I couldn't care less as I grabbed 50g of Tashkent and Yenidje Supreme! Muahaha! 8)

tiltjlp":wr9po3hr said:
My preferred method of adding moisture to a dry blend is to do it bowl-by-bowl. Load your pipe with the blend, cup your hand around the top of the bowl, and breathe into the pipe 4-10 times, based on how dry it is. This will add moisture back without overdoing it and ruining your tobacco. Might not work for everyone, but it's worked for me for many years.
This technique works surprisingly well. Did it many times with success.

Cheers,

RR

I have yet to try John's method, though I intend to. I actually rehydrated a similarly neglected tin of SG Navy flake using a method that Lestrout suggested on a different forum.

I put it in a shallow bowl and covered the bowl with a paper towel soaked in distilled water. When the towel was dry the tobacco was nice an moist. Worked like a charm. I tried it again with some C&D Billy Budd with less impressive results. Now I use mason jars, problem solved.

Dave_In_Philly":inlhuu9h said:
I have yet to try John's method, though I intend to. I actually rehydrated a similarly neglected tin of SG Navy flake using a method that Lestrout suggested on a different forum.

I put it in a shallow bowl and covered the bowl with a paper towel soaked in distilled water. When the towel was dry the tobacco was nice an moist. Worked like a charm. I tried it again with some C&D Billy Budd with less impressive results. Now I use mason jars, problem solved.
The only problem using that method is that the tobacco usually become more moist than is ideal, in my opinion.

Thank's again for all the good advices! The blow-in-pipe technique works wonderful!

And Tilt, when I make my order from 4noggins I'm gonna make sure to throw in some Storm Front, after all the good things I've heard about it! :)