Reintroduction

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Some of you know of me here, some do not. Some may wonder why in tarnation am I introducing myself again. Well, since 2 years ago when I first joined BOB there has been many new members and seeing I was on a hiatus for a time there's some older members who may not know of me either, so I thought I'd just clear the air so to speak. I say know of me rather then know me because I fear there are many who don't and may think they do.
I'm a retired 20 odd year truck driver and have had many trades in my life. I enjoy collecting and restoring all sorts of things. For the past 10 years off and on I've been restoring and collecting pipes. Only for about the last 5 have I been smoking them. At this time I only really smoke Escudo but, have tried many others. In fact it was a very generous BOB member that gifted me my first tin of Escudo. I enjoy conversing and interacting with people with the same interest. I'm a simple man with a simple vocabulary, the word subtle is not and never has been part of it because I feel that sugar coating what one has to say is just another form lying which I take no part in. I constantly struggle with the written word, understanding it in how it was meant by the writer and writing it so it may be understood the way I mean it, my spelling isn't always great either. Spell check doesn't always work properly as we all know. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box and I don't have all the answers.
My opinions aren't always to the liking of many but, there mine, (like rear ends, everyone's got one, right) and I TRY not to force them down anyone's throat. I don't intentionally insult, berate or wrong anyone and require to be treated the same. (in other words, you don't step on my toes I wont step on yours) My avatar is me like it or not, I am smiling as best I can. Never was a grinner or a teeth shower. My member name, for the lack of a better word, is a bad joke gone wrong. It has nothing to do with WHO I am in real life, my signature is but, only a portion of me. I hope we can all get along and if at anytime you feel I've said something wrong please let me know so we can deal with it appropriately or straighten out any misunderstandings. Thank you, Ron

Ron,
Pleasure to meet ya.  You've always been a treat to read....always straight forward about your intent...generous with your thoughts and praise when warranted.  You have a lot of pipes that you like to share the photos of, which most of us appreciate...and you give it your best, when asked.

What could anyone ask for, more than that.  I hope we all take the same approach and I think the fact that most here do take that approach is why we have such a fine forum with members who believe in the brotherhood and love" that exists here and maybe no where else.

Personally, I like the straight forward approach, without the bulls**t that you more frequently find than not.  When a member says they are going to do something, they do it...It is their word...and that means something to me.  Not all follow that creed...that's their problem not mine.  I choose not to enter their world.  I don't need their brand of bulls**t.

So pleasure to make your acquaintance, and proud to call you brother and know that you are there, if needed like a member of the family.

Walt

Thank you and the pleasures all mine Walt.

Don't ever lie, eh?   Well, you have an extensive vocabulary.   The writing is well above school standards and would certainly pass an English Composition class at college level.

You can be a cranky ol' SOB but there are worse attributes floating around.  

So there it is.  Lets all massage Ron's presence with a heartfelt:

Welcome, Ron​

(Still not sure about that Cartapoulous crap. I figure Greek. Lock up the goats.)

JKenP":4xunhztq said:
Don't ever lie, eh?   Well, you have an extensive vocabulary.   The writing is well above school standards and would certainly pass an English Composition class at college level.

You can be a cranky ol' SOB but there are worse attributes floating around.  

So there it is.  Lets all massage Ron's presence with a heartfelt:

Welcome, Ron​

(Still not sure about that Cartapoulous crap.  I figure Greek. Lock up the goats.)
Well, thank you Ken.........I think?
It took me a good part of an hour to write, read, rewrite and figure out which words could be substituted for the words I didn't know how to spell and spell check didn't know. Sometimes I don't even know the word I need to use. Now if that aint challenged I don't know what is. LOL! And really that in comparison to some here that I have no idea what there saying half the time because I have to Google the words there using.
And as far as cranky, aint that the kettle calling the pot black? LOL!

pepesdad1":9y3g7ics said:
Ron,
Pleasure to meet ya.  You've always been a treat to read....always straight forward about your intent...generous with your thoughts and praise when warranted.  You have a lot of pipes that you like to share the photos of, which most of us appreciate...and you give it your best, when asked.

What could anyone ask for, more than that.  I hope we all take the same approach and I think the fact that most here do take that approach is why we have such a fine forum with members who believe in the brotherhood and love" that exists here and maybe no where else.

Personally, I like the straight forward approach, without the bulls**t that you more frequently find than not.  When a member says they are going to do something, they do it...It is their word...and that means something to me.  Not all follow that creed...that's their problem not mine.  I choose not to enter their world.  I don't need their brand of bulls**t.

So pleasure to make your acquaintance, and proud to call you brother and know that you are there, if needed like a member of the family.

Walt
Ron This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^word for word. Walt and I are good friends are in touch almost every day. We think alike and share the same principles. I mentioned before in another thread I thought you and I have a lot in common. I certainly see more evidence of that here in your post. I don't see speaking the truth and telling it like it is as crabby. It keeps things simple without chance of misunderstanding. Mankind needs more of that. Clear, concise, and to the point. You have my thanks for being who you are and presenting yourself a man without pretense. As a member of this outstanding forum I'm glad to have you as a member and pleased to call you a brother. You're my kind of people.

BTW "The Shootist" is one of my favorite movies. Ref. your signature quote. My friend Walt and I both live by those words and have done so our entire lives. It's always good to find others that understand and live by rules that are good enough to teach your children so they can learn to respect the rights of the other persons and expect the same in return. A man should teach his children his own values instead of relying on the school and TV. Mostly the values learned there lack substance and are a bunch of crap. Every day my grandchildren are taught my values not by word alone but by deed. They will grow up to be good productive citizens.

AJ

I love your Smile, You old possum tailed peckerwood you.!:lol!: 

AJ, I know there are some here that get who I am and the way I try to lead my life. My post was really for those who don't and may have understood me wrong on one occasion or took me for my member name and or looks. I do appreciate you coming forward and am faltered that you and Walt think that much of me.Thanks to you guys I have to buy a bigger hat now.

allyby":ttcdiomj said:
I love your Smile, You old possum tailed peckerwood you.!:lol!: 
Thank you Ally OXOX! You ole skirt wearing haggis eater. LOL!

Ever visit an academic and they will have a reference library to look up things. The Internet does make it a lot easier and available. You aren't alone. You aren't unusual. But, you do have the discipline to make it work. Now no more self-castigation.

As for pots and kettles, I fear its to black pots.

BTW, if you are using Firefox, there is an addon that lets you click on a word and select the reference set you want. I use it all the time. A right click on the word or phrase will bring up a list of reference sources.

Academic? Is that catchy? And I had to look up "self-castigation" just to find out what in tarnation you just said.
I'm punishing myself? Maybe that's not the right definition? LOL!
I do run Firefox but, haven't a clue on how to use "add on's" or the such, nor do I want to really. Hardware is my forte, software looses me.
Simple man, simple ways, we Google. And thank you Ken.

Ron,

Judging from what you said, I think we're gonna be good friends. We've already talked a bit but I feel i too only knew of you. You sir, seem like a true southern gentleman.

I also enjoy reading your posts and replies to the stuff folks around here say. I look forward to many more conversations with ya brother.

Maybe if I can make it over there to see my family I can swing through your neck of the woods for a smoke some time.

Thank you sir, although I don't know how much a gentleman I am another piper is always welcome.

Ron, you are one of the few people I have known who do not muck about with words or emotions, you are a straight to the point no frills breath of fresh air.

Yup, sometimes what you have to say ruffles my feathers and can even leave me feeling what the hell I did to annoy you to the point where you decided to give me a slap up side the head.

The fact that life can get hectic and disturbing can often distort how your given words can be misinterpreted, happens to me all the time actually with things I say myself, I know you never mean to offend just as I never mean to offend, I respect you for who you are Ron and I value your friendship immensely.

Harbinger":mwdzuh9c said:
Howdy stranger :cheers: 
How do sir! Haven't seen you around, though we chased ya off maybe.
Good to see ya again. Gotta tell us what you been up to. Sit down, chew the fat, take a load off your feet.

Briar Spirit":mpvyqrr6 said:
Ron, you are one of the few people I have known who do not muck about with words or emotions, you are a straight to the point no frills breath of fresh air.

Yup, sometimes what you have to say ruffles my feathers and can even leave me feeling what the hell I did to annoy you to the point where you decided to give me a slap up side the head.

The fact that life can get hectic and disturbing can often distort how your given words can be misinterpreted, happens to me all the time actually with things I say myself, I know you never mean to offend just as I never mean to offend, I respect you for who you are Ron and I value your friendship immensely.
Hey, I am who I am. I reckon even friends piss each other off from time to time but, we seem to forgive them of there short comings easier. But, you know what they say, "I'd rather be pissed off then pissed on!"

Greetings Ron,

You've been one of my favorite BoB'ers from the word go, simply because you are straight forward and don't beat around the bush. I enjoy your posts, your wit, and your wisdom. Thanks for this reintroduction, or rather for someone as new as myself, introduction.