"'REJECT from Rep.of Ireland"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
I'd certainly say just looking at the stem it's a reject Pete, but what the hell do I know. ;)

I'm an expert, it says so <---there. It's on the Internet and hear after unquestionably true.. :cheers:

Question for a question, who else could it be? BPL? But I've never heard of Peterson marking them "reject product of Ireland". If they were so bad Pete wouldn't sell them why would they bother stamping it "product of Ireland"? And, having had a chest load of Petes, if they wouldn't sell it what is wrong with it? I've have some horrible horrible Petes that they had no problem putting to market.

I've never heard of a reject Pete being offered for sale. Or a Pete 2nd for that matter.

Maybe someone from the Peterson pipe forum would have some insight? I'm not a member there and visit only occasionally, but perhaps the search feature there could yield some results?

Cheers,

RR

Idlefellow":fc2pqr1f said:
Damned nice looking pipe in any case.
So why is it a "reject"?
If it's an outward flaw it would have been chucked into the rustication bucket.

First the disclaimer...I cannot say whether this is, or is not, a Pete; "reject' or whatever!!! Having owned two Peterson "seconds," I can say that they were marked "Irish Seconds," not "rejects." My two were natural finish (I think all Irish seconds are this way) with a few pits, but no fills!!! I wish Peterson's QC was as diligent with their "firsts" as their "seconds!!" FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

Somebody enjoyed the heck out of that prince there. The big one does resemble a Pete 01 though.

I have an Auld Erin which some research has suggested was a Peterson second line. It has and matches a Peterson shape number. It does not say reject.

Sincere thanks for all the input, Gents.

I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Regards

Mark

Hay, Bros.

Been doing a little digging around, and come up with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MADE-IN-THE-REPUBLIC-OF-IRELAND-REJECT-ESTATE-PIPE-/371358765455

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Petersons-Reject-Rep-of-Ireland-Tobacco-Smoking-Estate-Pipe-/141684201696

As well as this quote:

I only have one "Peterson," and I put that in quotes because it's stamped "Reject." I haven't found any problems with it except that it has fills, so I assumed it was a reject because of the fills.

From here: http://pipechat.info/forum/index.php?topic=1308.15

So it does seem there are Irish pipes stamped 'Reject' out there and that Pete may well have stamped some of theirs as such.

Anyhow, I bought the thing (probably for too much. Blasted beer goggles). Awww hell, I needed another pipe stand anyway, and maybe it'll smoke OK.

M

Idlefellow":8s4atdet said:
puros_bran":8s4atdet said:
Idlefellow":8s4atdet said:
Damned nice looking pipe in any case.
So why is it a "reject"?  
If it's an outward flaw it would have been chucked into the rustication bucket.
Well, that is indeed the question, eh?
Well for those of you who are interested, the answer is a completely miss-drilled mortise and consequently miss-aligned stem.

The other pipes are complete write-offs, all with either cracked bowls or shanks. Stand is nice, but the seller has kindly agreed to a refund and I am returning the whole kit and caboodle.