relighting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpramsey

Reaction score
Like many pipe smokers, I have to relight during my smoke. It usually occurs when there is about half a bowl left. I always dump my ash out before I relight but I have noticed that I always get a really burnt taste after relighting. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

I try to avoid dumping ash whenever possible. I find that it helps promote an even and consistent burn. If I'm running into a situation where I find myself consistently having to relight, and I'm sure that the cause isn't a packing issue or too much moisture at the bottom of the bowl, I might use my Czech tool to scoop about a little bit of the ash, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.

Experiment with your next bowl...when you have to relight lightly tamp and relight without dumping any ash and see what happens!

Mmm, I dislike the instant taste after a relight. Luckily though I think it vanishes after a few puffs so no biggie.

i also aim to keep the ash as long as possible but it gets to the point where i can no longer relight the tobacco. I'll try just scooping some ash out next time versus dumping it.

idbowman":gbbjo59s said:
I try to avoid dumping ash whenever possible. I find that it helps promote an even and consistent burn. If I'm running into a situation where I find myself consistently having to relight, and I'm sure that the cause isn't a packing issue or too much moisture at the bottom of the bowl, I might use my Czech tool to scoop about a little bit of the ash, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.

Experiment with your next bowl...when you have to relight lightly tamp and relight without dumping any ash and see what happens!
Same here. This also helps with the formation of heel cake since you can smoke to the bottom.

Beetle, I rather like the relights! They're actually quite nice, called "DGT" by those purposefully seeking the experience. Then again, I like the "dregs" at the bottom of the bowl when smoking, too... good stuff. :twisted:

The only time I mess with ash is in particularly tall/narrow chambers that concentrate ash buildup onto the surface of where the tobacco is supposed to take a light to the point where it will not fire up. I will, very gently, take the sharp edge of the pipe nail, loosen the top layer of ash, dump it out (also very gently), re-tamp (very gently) and resume. All's well afterward.

Relights are not only part of the experience, they can be enjoyable.

8)

Kyle Weiss":6w7aucfh said:
Beetle, I rather like the relights! They're actually quite nice, called "DGT" by those purposefully seeking the experience. Then again, I like the "dregs" at the bottom of the bowl when smoking, too... good stuff. :twisted:

The only time I mess with ash is in particularly tall/narrow chambers that concentrate ash buildup onto the surface of where the tobacco is supposed to take a light to the point where it will not fire up. I will, very gently, take the sharp edge of the pipe nail, loosen the top layer of ash, dump it out (also very gently), re-tamp (very gently) and resume. All's well afterward.

Relights are not only part of the experience, they can be enjoyable.

8)
+1 on every thing above!

Kyle Weiss":2zgn8enq said:
Then again, I like the "dregs" at the bottom of the bowl when smoking, too... good stuff. :twisted:
Me too! :twisted: The dirty last 10 minutes, hooboy, good stuff. Except with some weird ones that just stop without a warning, making me go, even after a wonderful smoke: WTF that was it?

beetlejazz":lue6v0sh said:
...The dirty last 10 minutes, hooboy, good stuff. Except with some weird ones that just stop without a warning, making me go, even after a wonderful smoke: WTF that was it?
You're just an endless fount of sexual innuendo today, Beetlejazz. :shock:

It's all in your head, George. You've been listening to Kyle too much. :evil:

That's fair. Ok, back on topic:
A trick I learned is to not touch the ash until relights become difficult. When this happens I upturn the pipe and let gravity take what it wants, without tapping the bowl or stirring the ash. Then a very light tamp before relighting. the ash plug seems to both insulate and baffle the ember underneath. When all things are in balance, the smoke is good.

beetlejazz":zxdmhwny said:
It's all in your head, George. You've been listening to Kyle too much. :evil:
:lol: Sure, blame me. :p

Mucking about with ash is a testy affair, anyway.

:suspect: Try and find something dirty with THAT one, sickos.

8)

This is a great post. The portion of the pipe that I dread is the point where the top ash will no longer allow for solid relights. I'll try scooping the ash out next time instead of dumping it. But yeah there seems to be a bit of mojo lost when you let that first layer of ash go. I especially notice a change in flavor for the worse with straight VA's.

Scooping is way too much effort, if you ask me, D&B. Just jab lightly with some kind of tool, and we're talkin' maybe a few millimeters, into the ash, and carefully tilt the pipe and let fall out what will, right the pipe again, tamp gently and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll jab a little deeper, until I barely feel where the ash stops and the patient tobacco begins, and repeat the process. Stirring, scooping, shaking, knocking...all over-doing. If you remove too much of the ash, you're likely to get a mouthful of awful-tasting smoke, as the ash really does provide a certain amount of carburetor-type action that helps mix the moisture, oxygen, heat and combustion just right.

This shouldn't be something that's done every smoke, either, just in case some lurker is skimming this. It's a rescue method that'll get you to the bottom of the bowl or squeeze out 15 minutes more of joy if you aren't ready to put your pipe down--or in my case, dealing with a couple of particularly tall tobacco chambers mid-smoke.

8)

I relight nearly every time.... good pipe smoker? bad pipe smoker? today in the workshop chatting with another maker that came by for a light evening chat.. I think we both ran out of butane ;-)

james

It happens. Always carry an "emergency" lighter. A mini-Bic has saved me a few times. :lol:

Kyle Weiss":owzilrhx said:
It happens. Always carry an "emergency" lighter. A mini-Bic has saved me a few times. :lol:
Kyle.... +1 ...

Kyle Weiss":bkw2dbkz said:
If you remove too much of the ash, you're likely to get a mouthful of awful-tasting smoke, as the ash really does provide a certain amount of carburetor-type action that helps mix the moisture, oxygen, heat and combustion just right.

8)
Good advice Kyle, Thanks. :D

Removing too much of the top ash has been my problem lately. And yes the flavor becomes awful when doing so, albiet only for a short while. However I have found that with certain blends especially straight VA's with delicate flavor, disturbing the top layer of ash only spells trouble for the remainder of the smoke. :x

idbowman":am6ime9y said:

This +1 :p If I'm smoking in a taller than normal , like a grp 6 or ODA sized Billiard ( of which I only have two this size) I might have to stir the ash a bit to allow the flame to "catch" on the bottom packed 'bac but I don't dump any ash till it's ALL ash ! :p

I don't have problems with relights. Some bowls need a lot of them, some bowls need none.

I often dump substantial amounts of ash and find there is still reasonably smokable flake in the bottom of my bowl. I am then delighted to fire it up and delight in a) the relight; b) having dumped the ash which had kept me from this pleasure; and c) fresh unfinished tobacco waiting to have me enjoying the sweetness that comes from its smoke.