Remembering Carl Sagan in an oddly effective way ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilted1

Reaction score
Some may enjoy this interesting mix of samplings of Carl Sagan's Cosmos Series and Stephen Hawking Produced by The Symphony of Science is a musical project by John Boswell. It sure makes me ponder some things ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zSgiXGELjbc" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Symphony of Science

Carl Sagan may have been laughed at by a number of people for his message delivery, but I always enjoyed hearing his presentations...maybe because I've had an interest in astronomy as long as I can remember. It's a hobby that will make a person realize just how insignificant the earth is in the overall universe. One of my favorite Carl Sagan tidbits is found here--
Reflections on a Mote of dust

Jim

I'm with you there Ol' Dawg, Carl Sagan did much to extend my sense of wonder ... I recall laying on my back in our yard in 1969 while between my second and third years in elementary school wondering how our countrymen had walked on the moon. Our family went to an event called "Moon Rock" at some museum (don't recall which one) where behind a glass dome you could look at a single rock that Astronauts had brought back from the moon. Our limited visitation of other worlds since has not dulled my sense of longing for knowledge of things beyond our world.

I don't ever recall thinking that Carl Sagan was as much a 'scientist' as he was a presenter of ideas ... someone each generation needs to keep the dream of our human Odyssey alive. We must remember many of Earths greatest discoverers were thought insane ... dreamers who set out to prove that which was doubted.

PS-Thanks for posting! Being on dial-up it'll be a while before I can see the whole thing. Yes, Carl was a rare combination yet effective one in my opinion. With all the night watcher lights and bright city lights now, I doubt many kids (or adults) can see the Little Dipper or all of any of the constellations...some of the intercity kids in big metropolises may not even know what a star looks like. :cry:

Jim