Removing the shank cleaning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
This question has been in my head for a while now, lets say you have a straight or bent pipe that passes a pipe cleaner like a champ. Is there any reason why we should remove the stem and actually clean the part of the wood in the shank thats touching the tenon?

I'm asking because:
1. whenever I remove the stem to clean the shank with any liquid cleaners, I think it kinda shrinks the wood and the stem either will not fit at all or squeaks like a duck.

and 2. After reading Rick Newcombe's In search of pipe dreams, he recommend removing the stem for a clean every 5 smokes or so. But tbh I just can't see the purpose behind it if your pipe can pass a cleaner without a problem.

On another forum, a fellow that had thought he was getting his pipes clean found that when he switched pipe cleaners he got a lot of gunk out of his pipes.
He was taking the pipes apart for a good complete cleaning when he was done with them for the day. He had done that for years. Many years.
If that gunk was still in pipes that been taken apart and cleaned imagine how they would have been if never taken apart for cleaning.

When using a pipe cleaning fluid it's a good idea to leave the pipe apart until the fluid evaporates and the briar dries. Overnight works for me.
If the tenon fits properly there should be no squeaking after the drying time. I read about doing this and it works.