Replacing a dishwasher unit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos":kfvkc1p4 said:
You said sides or top.  What about at floor level?  Any piping coming up through the floor behind this?  The opening is deep enough.  Right?
The floor level is free and clear. And the opening is deep enough. I should easily have 4-5" more clearance to the back of the wall..

Ozark Wizard":kfvkc1p4 said:
Just out of curiosity, are your cabinets 24 inches deep? Is the dishwasher? If one or the other is different, that would be an issue..

Also, check the flooring under the dishwasher. If there are odd heights they will give you grief... Typically, the rear of the washer has wheels that roll, but the front has adjustable feet. (think hex head base with threaded rods) The front feet might be hitting substrate, though, without it going in all the way, that is unlikely...

In a perfect world, there should be standardized sizing of appliances. You might be dealing with a less than perfect scenario though.

Beware of using accordion flex drains, as they tend to collect debris easily and thus clog quickly. Also, they do not fair well with very hot water.
Yes, 24" deep. Just now measured it again. The dishwasher is 24" from the back to the front of the door. And it should stick out just right when fully back.

The floor is free of obstructions.  

Don't have wheels on the back. 4 adjustable feet which are all adjusted for level. That leaves about 1.5" from the top of the unit to the bottom of the cabinet.

The only drain replacement hoses are the accordion style.

:?: :?: :?:

Cheers?

RR

???

Very interesting............

Well, if there seems to be ample room, and sliding back is the issue, you could try the 'shoe-horn' technique. Find a sheet of something thin, flat, and can be made as big as the footprint of the washer. Place it under the washer and slide the whole mess back into the hole. If you can wiggle the stuff out, great, otherwise just leave it in there.

Without checking other options, my next guess is you need a bigger hammer :lol!:

Ozark Wizard":ad246mk0 said:
???

Very interesting............

Well, if there seems to be ample room, and sliding back is the issue, you could try the 'shoe-horn' technique. Find a sheet of something thin, flat, and can be made as big as the footprint of the washer. Place it under the washer and slide the whole mess back into the hole. If you can wiggle the stuff out, great, otherwise just leave it in there.

Without checking other options, my next guess is you need a bigger hammer :lol!:
Good idea. I'll get a sheet of big cardboard and try that next. Otherwise I'll have to call in the local handyman.

Both my next door neighbours are great jack-of-all-trades but they're both down with health issues.

Cheers,

RR

Well, third time's a charm they say (or is it the 30th time?).

Anyway it's now sitting pretty, right where it should've been all along. Don't ask me how either. I just pulled it out one more time to check for any obstructions, wrinkled flooring, etc. and couldn't find anything.

Didn't have a large enough sheet of cardboard to put under it for a skid plate (like Ozzie suggested) but did cut several squares of cardboard from a shipping box. I placed these under the feet, but the problem was they didn't want to stay there once I pushed the unit back.

So gave up on that routine and just tried wriggling it back, and this time it went in all the way just like it should've the first time. Still have no idea what the problem was but the good news is that it's finally in!

:cheers:

Turned on the breaker and the display lit up, so that's a good sign. Next thing will be to run one load and check for leaks before I finalize it. Still have to attach the little brackets to the underside of the cabinet and replace the moulding strip under the cabinets.

Question - how necessary is it really for those brackets to the underside of the cabinet? In order to install them I'll need to pull the unit out again a little way and I'm loath to do that given the previous experience. I can see that with use the vibration might cause it to want to walk out from the cabinet hole, but what's the reality?

This has been one giant PITA, make no mistake. Just now hope it runs OK like the guy I got it from said. I should probably also go on line and download the manual, but the operations are straightforward enough. So may pass on that action.

Cheers,

RR

The primary reason for those screws (I feel) is so that when you open the door and draw out the racks with dishes in them the washer doesn't tip forward and dump shtuff everywhere. And yah, they help keep it from walking out too..

Congratulations! :cheers:

Glad to hear you got it in. Good work.

And its nice the way people graciously offered info on how to install it.

I just spent 40 minutes washing dishes by hand...wonder what I could have been doing if I had a dishwasher? Playing guitar, smoking a pipe, eating and making more dishes.

Just throwing it out there but there is a cookbook out there about cooking in your dishwasher. No joke...people cook salmon in their dishwasher. Wrapped in foil...lemon and butter...then put in sealed ziploc bag. Run it through a cycle and voila.

I've cooked stuff in foil under the hood of my vehicle on the engine, but not in a dishwasher. Not on purpose anyway....

Downloaded the manual for the unit after a very pleasant conversation with a CS rep from KitchenAid. She was very helpful.

Also just ordered the 2 brackets that will hold the top of the unit to the underside of my cabinet. The brackets that came with the unit had been broken off during the removal.

All to say that the replacement brackets will not require removal of the unit. The anchor points on the dishwasher are easily accessed. All I'll have to do is locate and drill a couple small holes for the anchor points in the cabinet, which I can easily do without moving the appliance.

Cheers,

RR

Ozark Wizard":82fne0dt said:
I've cooked stuff in foil under the hood of my vehicle on the engine, but not in a dishwasher. Not on purpose anyway....
That sounds familiar Wiz! I used to have an old Comma Camper van in the early 90s. I used to travel round the UK in it exploring new mountain bike routes; mountain biking was in its infancy here in the UK at the time. As the access to the engine was under a hatch between the driver and passenger seats in the cab, we used to wrap Cornish pasties in tin foil and sit them on the manifold. Twenty or so minutes driving would normally be enough for a piping hot dinner whilst driving. That hatch was useful when it came to retarding the timing a bit too.

What's that dripping sound I hear?

I once had a rat (yes, a RAT!) chew through the water line of my DW and I woke up to water ALL over. Floor swelled up (oak parquet). Took weeks to dry it out, but it settled down flat again. God, I hate rats.

Blackhorse":x0qoe23r said:
That's the Duck La' Range leaking on the manifold.... Time to pull over and add the stuffing and asparagus!!

Ozark Wizard":tr76jw8z said:
Blackhorse":tr76jw8z said:
That's the Duck La' Range leaking on the manifold.... Time to pull over and add the stuffing and asparagus!!
Ha! Beautiful!

Well, colour me pleased as punch! Just ran the first cycle through the unit and it performed flawlessly. No leaks, way more quiet than the old one, got the dishes sparkling clean. What more could one want? Looks like it was worth all the hassle, and I did it myself!

Cheers,

RR

Oh, the simple things! Good to hear you're up and running on the domestic front again BD!

Brewdude":vthz98pc said:
Well, colour me pleased as punch! Just ran the first cycle through the unit and it performed flawlessly. No leaks, way more quiet than the old one, got the dishes sparkling clean. What more could one want? Looks like it was worth all the hassle, and I did it myself!

Cheers,

RR
Good to hear sir, sometimes the simplest task can be a real PITA, I know cause I live in Murphy's World too. ;)

Cartaphilus":kfwwqxp1 said:
Brewdude":kfwwqxp1 said:

Cheers,

RR
Good to hear sir, sometimes the simplest task can be a real PITA, I know cause I live in Murphy's World too. ;)
Well TBH I did have one post-installation issue but it's fully sorted out now. Clear sailing from here!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR