Request for Videos of Smoking Cadence

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
A lot of new pipe-smokers are told to make sure they don't smoke too quickly and ruin the tobacco's flavor, let the heat bite their tongues, and burn out their pipes. On the other hand, they struggle to keep their pipes lit.

What does a proper smoking cadence look like? I'd love to get some short videos (2-3 minutes or so) from experienced smokers showing how often and how deeply they puff without the detrimental effects mentioned above. I'd add these to a Youtube playlist or edit them into one video that could be used as a reference for new pipers. If anyone is willing, please make such videos and send me the links. If anyone really desires such a resource, please comment here to show the veterans the need you have for this sort of thing!

Very interested in deed.  Since I don't have ready access to any veteran pipers to observe and learn from in the wild, video seems like the next best thing.  Keeping Schrodinger's cat in mind though, I wonder if the video should be taken surreptitiously.  Perhaps with David Attenborough narrating? "Notice the veteran pipe smoker in their natural habitat..."
Seriously though, I do think this is a very good idea and would welcome the chance to learn more about proper cadence.

Love peace and bacon grease :afro:

It wouldn't be very compelling, I'm afraid. When I'm in the groove, my missus thinks I've fallen asleep with my pipe in my mouth. Just practice breathing from the diaphragm, inhaling through the nose. This creates a vacuum pulling smoke lightly onto your palette. Every once in awhile do a small exhale puff through the mouth. A friend once described an old fella sitting on a park bench, unmoving with a cob in his mouth. Every once in awhile a little wisp of smoke would come out oh the bowl. That was his exhale puff. IMHO, pipers don't really appreciate the sense of peace and relaxation briar and weed offer until they can do this without thinking about it. It's certainly not hard, but it looks like someone who's dozing off???

Love this idea! I think one problem it might encounter is the ever-pervasive "do what works for you" mentality I see so often on pipe forums. While I totally see/appreciate where this is coming from, I would still point out that we all speak of pipe smoking as an "art," or at least a skillful hobby. Well, every art needs to be practiced; but how can one practice without first being taught?

I sincerely hope this pans out!

whiderwarde":d96y9403 said:
Love this idea!  I think one problem it might encounter is the ever-pervasive "do what works for you" mentality I see so often on pipe forums.  While I totally see/appreciate where this is coming from, I would still point out that we all speak of pipe smoking as an "art," or at least a skillful hobby.  Well, every art needs to be practiced; but how can one practice without first being taught?

I sincerely hope this pans out!
That's the whole point--to help teach. We always tell people to slow down, but how slow do you need to go? Video instruction seems to be a great way to teach in my opinion.