request recommendations for Syrian Latakia blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-235

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am interested in purchasing English/Balkan blends containing Syrian Latakia.  I prefer my English/Balkan blends with a good dose of Latakia, so if you know of such blends, I would be grateful for your recommendations.

So far, I have looked at Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian, McClellands Full Balkan Blend and Super Balkan Blend.  Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian seems interesting as it contains some Kentucky.  Also the Super Balkan blend is another interesting blend containing perique.  However, before putting my order together, I am curious about other Syrian Latakia blends.  You brothers are much more experienced than I am.

Thank you :)

I was on the prowl for some good Syrian blends last year for a while and my favorite by far was Wilderness, which also has a bit of Cyprian in it.

I didn't care for the MacBaren blend all that much.

Now this is interesting, u-235 is looking for Syrian blends and drumsandbeer's favorite is Wilderness. What's interesting is I'm currently reading a book called "The Perfect Smoke" by Fred Hanna (I've referenced this book in another post). He is the one who came up with the wilderness blend for McClelland. He goes into detail on how he came up with the blend. Now I just might have to try it and some of the other blends he came up with. And I'm enjoying the book quite a bit. I know I'll be using it for reference in the future.

Personally I wouldn't call Wilderness a Latakia forward blend!!! It is a very mellow muted Latakia flavor that is reminiscent of much older aged blends IMO. For a full blast Latakia I would probably recommend Dunhill 965 or a similar blend. Head over to tobaccoreviews.com and peruse the site for some recommendations, I think it may be of help to you.

It's certainly worth exploring. As D&B said, Wilderness is good one. But if you are a Lat junkie who has smoked Cyprian Latakia you may actually be disappointed. I found the Syrian variety to be a very close, but somewhat muted substitute. If you blindfolded me, I'd probably confuse a Syrian blend for a more subtle Cyprian blend and vice versa.

femur":hehhnx94 said:
I've recently discovered Brebbia Balkan and I think it's great.
Check out the reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2673/brebbia-balkan-mixture-no10
Yes, it sounds good.  I am definitely going to order a few tins of that.  On tobacco reviews, there are three other blends from Brebbia that sounds appealing:

• Latakia Flake No. 9  ---Syrian Latakia, Virginia
  • Brebbia Serenata Mix No. 28 (formerly English Mixture No. 80)  ---Syrian Latakia, Burley, Virginias  (I don't know if this blend has and flavoring additives.  If it does, then I am not interested.  But I like the unique mixture of Burley and Syrian Latakia.  Probably the only Syrian Latakia mixture with Burley.)
  • Preludio (Mixture No.60)  ---Syrian Latakia, Macedonian Leaf, Virginias

If anyone has tried any of the above blends, I would be glad to read your brief review or a couple of words.  Especially on Serenata Mix No. 28 (formerly English Mixture No. 80) - I would like to know if this has flavoring added to it as I abhor aromatics.

Glad I could help with the Balkan.
I haven't tried any of the others.

docwatson":yo7g2pqm said:
Personally I wouldn't call Wilderness a Latakia forward blend!!!
Agreed, it's not Latakia forward at all. To my taster, what makes Wilderness special is that it's a flavorful mixture with some wonderful nuances comprised of some very mild mannered tobaccos.

I smoke a fair amount of mixtures that one might refer to as Lat-heavy & I still enjoy Wilderness tremendously. Now I wouldn't smoke a bowl or two of Odyssey and then smoke Wilderness right afterwards, but on a clean palate it's very enjoyable. However, if you're looking for nicotine, you'll probably want to put your money elsewhere.

Brebbia Balkan - been meaning to try that one. So many mixtures, so little time.... :(

DrumsAndBeer":6unp3d6d said:
docwatson":6unp3d6d said:
Personally I wouldn't call Wilderness a Latakia forward blend!!!
Agreed, it's not Latakia forward at all. To my taster, what makes Wilderness special is that it's a flavorful mixture with some wonderful nuances comprised of some very mild mannered tobaccos.

I smoke a fair amount of mixtures that one might refer to as Lat-heavy & I still enjoy Wilderness tremendously. Now I wouldn't smoke a bowl or two of Odyssey and then smoke Wilderness right afterwards, but on a clean palate it's very enjoyable. However, if you're looking for nicotine, you'll probably want to put your money elsewhere.
I read the description of Wilderness on tobaccoreviews.com and it sounds like a good blend.  It states that it has both Cyprian and Syrian Latakia as well as fragrant Orientals (especially the Yenidje!!!) and Red Virginias.  I will definitely include a tin in my next order.  A blend does not necessarily have to be bold in some way to be good.  Sometimes a gentle mild smoke can yield just as much pleasure.  As far as nicotine is concerned, that is never a factor for me when considering tobaccos.  My tolerance is so high that I can chew Red Man and smoke Lucky Strikes at the same time - just barely getting a minimal buzz.  Gotta quit them cigarettes!

You may also enjoy Lancers Slices. Available only in bulk, it's a splendid bargain.

Dave_In_Philly":lahfves3 said:
But if you are a Lat junkie who has smoked Cyprian Latakia you may actually be disappointed. I found the Syrian variety to be a very close, but somewhat muted substitute. If you blindfolded me, I'd probably confuse a Syrian blend for a more subtle Cyprian blend and vice versa.
As a five- to ten-bowl-a-day smoker, I can do Syrian blends as all-day smokes, but only the most restrained Cyprians. Fuller Cyprians can be luscious, indeed, and satisfying in the extreme, but also satiating. As something of a Syrian Latakia junkie myself (whose other passions are various austere Virginias), I have to admit I'm happy that Dave's take on Syrian is actually widespread.

I recently popped a tin of 3 Oaks and really couldn't get it to dry out enough to stay lit.
I put it in a jar with no lid for three weeks and it still wasn't dry enough. I've given up for the
time being.
The Lancers looks good to me. I'll have to get some with my next order.

IMO the best Syrian on the market by a long stretch is Ashton's Artisan Blend.

Storm_Crow":lmazfu6n said:
I read a while ago that Kolhaus and Kopp ran out of Syrian. The article referenced by monbla's link also mentions this. I was bummed out to hear this because I really enjoyed Solani Gold Blend which had the same Syrian leaf as Artisan's.

DrumsAndBeer":200ur2cq said:
Storm_Crow":200ur2cq said:
I read a while ago that Kolhaus and Kopp ran out of Syrian. The article referenced by monbla's link also mentions this. I was bummed out to hear this because I really enjoyed Solani Gold Blend which had the same Syrian leaf as Artisan's.
That is a goddamn greek tragedy.