Resting Pipe with bowl up or down?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
I have always set my pipes with the bowls on the bottom when not in use. Occasionally but not very often I have found some post smoking fluid collecting in the bowl the next day. I just wipe it out when I notice it and go about my business.

I have noticed in some photos that some folks (mainly in U.K.?) hang thier pipes on a rack with the stem down and the bowl up. I could see this casuing more moisture to drain out the stem and not settle in the bowl. Could this lead to less ghosting since the bowl is not absorbing any old juice? I have no clue.

What are the advantages of storing one way over the other?

Hm... I'm in the UK and I was always told to store / rest with the bowl at the bottom to allow easier evaporation, I'm unaware of any other advice on the matter to be honest. I don't have a rack (or space for a rack) at the moment so most of mine are left on their sides, but I do try to at least tilt the stem in the air when I leave them. So far I haven't noticed any moisture accumulation that you mentioned in any of my pipes. Could climate be a factor? Although... saying that, its been extraordinarily wet over here this winter, so that's unlikely.

As I understand it, this is a debate between the U.S. and U.K. and quite possibly the real reason behind the Revolutrionary War ;) Far as I can see, it doesn't make any difference if you use pipe cleaners.

Ah, I was also told to use pipe cleaners after every smoke, I thought it was universal practice. That could be it then.

KevinM":c7v4j7be said:
As I understand it, this is a debate between the U.S. and U.K. and quite possibly the real reason behind the Revolutrionary War ;) Far as I can see, it doesn't make any difference if you use pipe cleaners.
THIS :bounce: My experience is that it DOES NOT MATTER as long as you smoke the bowl to ash and put a clnr. in it when done. I've put mine bowl up, bowl down in the rack, on their side, sitting straight up on the desk/shelf, upside down in a drawer, mainly I just set 'em down :p If you don't smoke some godawful wet stuff and leave a dottle in the bottom it really DOES NOT MATTER. JMHO ( after decades of smoking ALL types of 'bac) but some of our more OCD'd brothers will chime in with some SCIENTIFIC REASONS so you deide what YOU want to do and what works for you. This is the 21st century and all the old "rules" are not valid anymore :twisted: :twisted:

KevinM":uecyi3zc said:
...possibly the real reason behind the Revolutrionary War ;)
I'm pretty sure Sarah Palin explained that one. The war of 1812 is anyone's guess.
I've tried it both ways and seen little if any difference. I just leave a cleaner in the stem overnight. I'm sure someone will tell me now why that's a bad idea. Right, Monbla? :p

George has johnny horton's "the Battle of New Orleans" on repeat on his ipod.... don't pretend you don't love the War of 1812

And why wouldn't I love it? We've got Dolly Madison baking her way out of the burning Whitehouse and Samuel L. Jackson recapturing New Orleans! What's not to love? (At least I think I remember learning it that way.) I never knew who sang that song, though. Thanks, Jefe!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OWkOeK5AmI8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After taking every possible facet of pipe lore seriously for far too long, it occurred to me that I had enjoyed my pipes less by trying to enjoy them more; the attempt to learn was compulsive and in fact got in the way. When I saw this topic I thought to read it to find out who was spinning their wheels. I'm relieved to see almost no one.

I always use a pipe cleaner after a smoke and then put a clean one in it when I set her on the rack, the two racks I have are the type that the holder is a hole not a slot at the top and my La Rocca Fantasia has an oval saddle bit and no matter how i twist it the width and curve of the bit wont allow her to slip up in to place so I set her down thru the top

Suggestion : Consider it possible that the best way to dry the inside of a pipe is to not impede its access to the air around it with a second cleaner. IOW, by allowing that moisture to evaporate. As opposed to trapping it inside, where a dry cleaner is supposedly absorbing it but is really maintaining a damper, more stagnant condition than would otherwise be the case.

:face:

Yak":z2f1kdnu said:
Suggestion : Consider it possible that the best way to dry the inside of a pipe is to not impede its access to the air around it with a second cleaner. IOW, by allowing that moisture to evaporate. As opposed to trapping it inside, where a dry cleaner is supposedly absorbing it but is really maintaining a damper, more stagnant condition than would otherwise be the case.

This for sure :p I only leave a clnr in the pipe for about 15/30 minutes after smoking it, then I pull it out and let air get to it till I smoke or clean it again. :p It's not gonna be catastropic if you leave 'em in once in a while, but air circulation is your friend in pipe cleanliness :p

The problem with resting pipes stem-down is that if there is significant moisture left inside, it will run down onto your rack and screw the finish up.

Yak":oclt9g2q said:

I consider this to be the case.
A cleaner can only absorb so much, and leaving it in the pipe all night only means
that the dampness collected remains there, all night.

my only thought on the Stem Down method is that residue would dry in the stem. Which leads me to believe every owner of a GBD with persplex stem has dried their's stem down 8)

IndySmoker":241lsqoc said:
my only thought on the Stem Down method is that residue would dry in the stem. Which leads me to believe every owner of a GBD with persplex stem has dried their's stem down 8)
Stem up. stem down doesn't matter with Perspex stems. Smoking 'em is what is the cause of the residue. If you don't periodically use a clnr swabbed with alchohol to clean 'em out they stay stained. :p

Usually the way my pipes are stored in the rack is dependent on whether they CAN be stored bowl down.
I prefer the bowl down position, but most of the racks I have seen and ALL that I own do not allow for this, consequentially I tend to store them bowl up. I have encountered no problems with this, so I guess there really is none. :lol!: