Restoration of a Gourd Calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
This one was a a lot of fun.  I learned a lot on this project as I had never even held a gourd calabash before this one and I had to do quite a bit of research to figure out the best way to clean the gourd.  Honestly I was building the plane as I was flying it, but in the end I'm quite pleased with the results.
You can watch the process here if interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQFCU-_AnJElABvVvLT8Lhahv0jw2-_V1
Thanks for looking,
Mike.
GourdCalabashFinal.resized_zpsuvnrwwzn.jpg

You're lucky the cap wasn't stuck! The pipe repair folks I contacted all basically said once that happens, trying to remove the cap is likely to split the gourd.

DrT999":hlhd2ajs said:
You're lucky the cap wasn't stuck!  The pipe repair folks I contacted all basically said once that happens, trying to remove the cap is likely to split the gourd.
I put beeswax on the cork with mine because I am paranoid about this. It has stayed unstuck for 30+ years.

Fr_Tom":apq1hbbw said:
DrT999":apq1hbbw said:
You're lucky the cap wasn't stuck!  The pipe repair folks I contacted all basically said once that happens, trying to remove the cap is likely to split the gourd.
I put beeswax on the cork with mine because I am paranoid about this. It has stayed unstuck for 30+ years.
Alas, when I stopped smoking for 15 years I neglected that step when I put it away.

Beeswax is fine for the cork. I personally use cork grease for the saxophone or clarinet as I have it on hand. If you want to use cork
grease it's cheap and easy to get at any music shop.

Jim

It actually was stuck, and I can see how trying to force it off would have ruined the gourd. When I first got the pipe I was looking it over and it and I thought it might have been glued in (I knew it was supposed to come off, but thought I might have some cheap "fake" calabash on my hands). After pushing and prodding for a bit, I tried some gentle heat from a heat gun mostly directed at the cap. That did the trick and I was able to pop it off with no harm to the gourd. Thanks for the tips on wax, I'll definitely do that now.
Mike.

Word to the wise on cork grease.....go with the unscented variety lol

huffelpuff":abv1pejw said:
Beeswax is fine for the cork.  I personally use cork grease for the saxophone or clarinet as I have it on hand.  If you want to use cork
grease it's cheap and easy to get at any music shop.

Jim
How often ought one to apply the beeswax or cork grease? I've recently acquired a calabash and want to care for it properly.

The rule I go by is if you disassemble it you should grease it. I disassemble it every time I use it. If I don't smoke it for awhile I'll still regrease it say every other month or so. Don't use lots of grease just a thin film is more than enough. YMMV

Hope this helps
Jim

No doubt that is the most attractive gourd calabash I've ever seen. Great job! :)

AJ

You Certainly did a great job Mike bring that back and making it L K new again!

Yes you can absolutely use petroleum jelly on the cork. Do not use very much as the bowl heats up it will run into the gourd and might cause staining. You only need a very thin layer to lubricate the cork and keep it from drying out.

Jim

huffelpuff":jky0wl6i said:
Yes you can absolutely use petroleum jelly on the cork. Do not use very much as the bowl heats up it will run into the gourd and might cause staining. You only need a very thin layer to lubricate the cork and keep it from drying out.

Jim
Thanks! I used it and it seems to work just fine. Now I'll smoke this gourd and see how the bowl holds up. Or, I'll just put it on the shelf and admire it.

You should smoke it at least once. They certainly aren't for everybody. The shear size of most of them is intimidating to say the least but they do marvels at taming some of the most horrific flamethrower blends. I don't smoke mine as often as I should especially after having it fixed but when I do I know I'm in for a great smoke. You might find a new friend that makes your old favorite blends sing just a little sweeter.

Jim