Restoration of an LL Bean pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
Here is my latest estate pipe project.  It is an LL Bean pipe that was made by Dr Grabow as part of the Smokemaster line.  It has a really cool pipe cleaner filter insert in the stem that will probably smoke awful, but is an interesting historical curiosity.
If you are interested, I have started a new project where I document the restoration process that you can see here (warning, this is a 5 part playlist with lots of sanding :roll: ):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x2rWY0HU06E" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

FinalLLBean_zpsfihilgzr.jpg

Thanks for looking!  
Mike.

Handsome pipe you have there. It looks a lot like the first pipe I ever bought (a Dr. Grabow) which I still smoke occasionally. Bean's also used to sell L.L. Bean pipe tobacco in a tub. A few year's back, I was curious and called LLB HQ in Freeport to ask where they got the store-branded pipe tobacco. I was told they didn't have the hard copy vendor records from those days, but they connected me with a long-term employee who said the tobak was Prince Albert which was favored by L. L. Bean himself who was notorious for limiting the store's products to those he personally used, enjoyed and could confidently recommend to customers. But I can't claim absolute certainty, because another piper told me that he'd read somewhere that it was not PA, but was another of the well known codger burley blends. Let the bros know if your pipe has a PA "ghost." On my frequent journeys Downeast I enjoy bringing a good supply of PA along with me. Jeez, I wish I'd have bought one of the LLB pipes back in the day. I seem to recall they were offered in both straights and bents. A missed opp, for sure. I hope you enjoy your pipe. The stamping looks very good.

Thanks for the intrest and comments guys, I really appreciate it. And Sid, thank you for the sub.  I enjoy your videos too.
From what I read researching this pipe, LL bean sold 2 tobaccos, both rebranded.  One was Edgeworth ready rubbed and the other was a PA type burley blend. I didn't notice a ghost in the pipe, so no burning gun there :lol:  There is a blog post that goes into some detail here: http://www.damnyak.ca/2012/08/ll-bean-pipes-tobacco.html
Kevin, if you still want one let me know what shape.  They are not that difficult to find and I can keep an eye open for you.
Mike.

Thanks very much for the kind offer, Michael. Fact is, I think I've already hit the point of "too many" pipes -- i.e., lotsa lookalikes, especially in the basic shapes. The past few times I've been about to buy a new briar I've noticed that the pipe's appeal is its similarity to one that's sitting on the rack, all paid for, broken in, possibly dedicated to a particular style of tobak, and with a history of enjoyable service. I'm undecided if this is a good or bad situation to be in. But thanks again.