Retirement

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I doubt if I will be "fully" retired. But at age 55, I made a decision, I stepped down from regular income.

I've enjoyed the last 6 years immensely, setting my own timetable.

It helps that my partner "can't imagine" not working. A bit of an adjustment in attitude, for me, when I am not the main bread winner in the household. ie.

"What have you been doing all day? Why aren't the dishes done? The beds made, etc. " :oops:

I feel the age and would not wish anyone to wish the years away.

But I cannot understand why there are those out there, who just cannot stop working... they'll work until they drop.

It's not worth it IMHO. Take time to relax and smell the roses :D

I'm ready now but they won't let me :evil: What kind of country won't let a guy retire and draw social security at 46? :lol:

I grew up that way, it's what I was taught,,,you get up and go to work,,,Dad was from German stock, his grandparents came over from the fatherland and Dad, from the age of twelve, was raised by them on a large farm,,sunup to sundown ,,,,old school work ethic that Dad maintained when he started our family,,,it has served me well, although he would roll over in his grave to hear me admit it,,,different background Puffs, that's all,,, :D

I don't know. I do about 70% of my work in solitude. I work at home when I'm home and travel a couple hundred days a year. As long as I look vaguely youthful (thanks mom and dad), I can continue this indefinitely. And I plan to do so.

I think that much of a person's attitude toward work is determined by what work they do. I absolutely love my job and would continue to do it even if my pay just barely covered my expenses.

I'm only 32 and if I could get away with retiring tomorrow I wouldn't even have to think twice, I'd walk away from work without any doubt whatsoever. I don't need to make someone else money just to keep myself entertained. The important part of my life is everything that happens outside of work. That's not to say I don't work my ass off every day, but I don't do it because I like it. Good on you for gettin' out.

I don't understand why anyone would think it a good idea to waste the better part of their lives chained to a job, especially considering the fact that most people probably aren't exactly in love with the one(s) they have.

November 8 , 1990 was the last day of my work, I spent 6 months in the hospital after life saving surgeries, for two years I was driven by guilt[work ethic], now I love it, Ken :tongue:

I hate to say this, but I think I'll be working until I drop dead.
I started my current and hopefully last job at the age of 33. Had I stayed at my very first department and not hopped around pension systems & 401K's, I would have had my "twenty" over and done with in 2009 at the age of 41. I would have started my "second" career and would have put in some more time, who knows how many.

We just got a new pension system at my current job so, as of July 2009, the clock starts for a twenty year retirement. The first eight years are being tacked on after I do my current twenty. SO, if you are following this, I will have twenty eight years on before I can retire. I will be 61. (I hope I'm in a desk job by then!!!!) ugh!!!!!

Christ, that's depressing....... :x

Then again, there's always POWERBALL AND MEGA-MILLIONS!!!!! :cheers:

Frost":tn9tgs2o said:
I'm only 32 and if I could get away with retiring tomorrow I wouldn't even have to think twice, I'd walk away from work without any doubt whatsoever. I don't need to make someone else money just to keep myself entertained. The important part of my life is everything that happens outside of work. That's not to say I don't work my ass off every day, but I don't do it because I like it. Good on you for gettin' out.

I don't understand why anyone would think it a good idea to waste the better part of their lives chained to a job, especially considering the fact that most people probably aren't exactly in love with the one(s) they have.
ditto.

I guess I am one who doesn't see myself retiring, but eventually working for myself. I have worked for about 35 years in one of the oldest industries (agriculture) I currently work at the bleeding edge of the technology curve, using satellites and computers to help micro-manage the farmers inputs within each field so he can use just the optimum amount of fertilizers, seed and pesticides to get the job done without being wasteful or harmful to the environment. It is interesting work and every day is a new challenge. So until I decide to say quit, the work gets me up and at my desk or out on the road early each day.

We bought a place in the Ozark woods last year with a small house that we could move to and be mortgage free any time. Plan is to eventually build a house and retire there. I have always enjoyed wood working and am a decent furniture maker so I figure I can keep busy plus supplement our retirement with a small furniture business. The area attracts tourists from at least 3-4 surrounding cities so the traffic is pretty brisk especially in the nice weather months. We might even rent a small store front in our closest small town where my wife can continue to work as well at least for the first few years. Not her plan! :shock: She would agree with some of you and retire today if she could.

SP, I'm with you! I retired in 2005 at 58 and haven't regreted it for a minute. I worked for the same company for 32 years and was happy to get away from it all.

I have retired twice and went back to work becuase I love what I do. I get a great deal of satisfaction from it. As long as I feel I am adding value and still get satisfaction I will still work. Besides at 60 I still like toys a LOT. But...the first day I go in and the feeling is not there they will get my 2 day notice..."I am outta here TODAY!" ;)

DoverPipes":vfj3kj7f said:
I hate to say this, but I think I'll be working until I drop dead.
I started my current and hopefully last job at the age of 33. Had I stayed at my very first department and not hopped around pension systems & 401K's, I would have had my "twenty" over and done with in 2009 at the age of 41. I would have started my "second" career and would have put in some more time, who knows how many.

We just got a new pension system at my current job so, as of July 2009, the clock starts for a twenty year retirement. The first eight years are being tacked on after I do my current twenty. SO, if you are following this, I will have twenty eight years on before I can retire. I will be 61. (I hope I'm in a desk job by then!!!!) ugh!!!!!

Christ, that's depressing....... :x

Then again, there's always POWERBALL AND MEGA-MILLIONS!!!!! :cheers:
Ditto Brother Dover DITTTTTTTTOOOOOO!!!!!

If all things go decently well with the economy over the next 18 years I hope to retire at age 60. My 401K and Roth IRA's have held steady. I own a little property here and there and have a few things going on the side to float me until I get to the "official" retirement age. I'm living a wee bit poor while I'm young to make it happen, but we still are trying to do some travel and other great adventures while we're young enough to enjoy them fully, with the kids, etc.

If not, well I'll just work til I drop, I suppose.

I retired in 2003 at 57 when my knees just gave out leaving me with the choice of living in a wheelchair or getting them replaced. Since that time I've recovered to the point that all is almost normal again.

I hung it up about 2 1/2 years ago at 61. I still do consulting work plus I have a part-time teaching contract at the FAA schoolhouse in OKC. I teach when I want to and have off when I want to!! Makes life easy. I spend a bunch of time traveling to visit friends and, of course, spend a great deal of time at my place in NC playing grandpa! We still maintain a home in OKC where my wife has a psychiatric counceling practice. I try to maintain a strict balance between the part-time work and being retired.Life could be worse!! FTRPLT

I worked for Sears for 33 years (District Mgr.) When K-mart took over I was forced out with a pension of $300 a month for the rest of my life at age 55. I went to Dollar General as a District Mgr, (big mistake) and the dropped me like a rock after they were bought out by a private company and reorganized. I now work at a local computer technology company refurbishing servers for about 1/4 the income. Truth is I love it! No stress, no weekends, no problems. If all goes well I can retire at 65 but what the hell I enjoy it so much I may hang on until 70.

As my dad always said, "The good jobs don't pay." He worked in a hardware store for 40 years and loved every minute of it. I think when he retired he was making about $8 per hour.

Falconer":psxj75de said:
I worked for Sears for 33 years (District Mgr.) When K-mart took over I was forced out with a pension of $300 a month for the rest of my life at age 55. I went to Dollar General as a District Mgr, (big mistake) and the dropped me like a rock after they were bought out by a private company and reorganized. I now work at a local computer technology company refurbishing servers for about 1/4 the income. Truth is I love it! No stress, no weekends, no problems. If all goes well I can retire at 65 but what the hell I enjoy it so much I may hang on until 70.

As my dad always said, "The good jobs don't pay." He worked in a hardware store for 40 years and loved every minute of it. I think when he retired he was making about $8 per hour.
3 cheers Valky!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Before I retired, my mantra was "A working man is a happy man!"

Since retiring, I realize that I had it all wrong; "A retired man is a happy man!"

NeroWolfe":86lpy7r3 said:
Before I retired, my mantra was "A working man is a happy man!"

Since retiring, I realize that I had it all wrong; "A retired man is a happy man!"
Not there yet but or ever will be but I can imagine!!
Working man being a happy man is a load of crap in my book, 3 Cheers to you and enjoy!

I worked for two companies ( McDonnell Douglas and Owens Corning Fiberglas at their Technical Center) and both places said, " Your grandkids will retire from here". So after the end of the Cold War, and then massive re-structuring, hopes of working for the same company until normal retirement age, was flushed down the shitter.

Then after receiving my Social Security Statement this year which states that in 2016 they will not have enough money to meet the demands of the system, I am delegated to creating my own retirement system. :suspect: