Retiring an old friend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dottleman

Reaction score
I picked this tobacco jar up in the 1980's at a tobacco store in a Mall in Vegas. Had I known how well and how faithfully this jar would serve me, I would have bought more than one - actually that's not true. Back then I was usually pretty broke. Anyway, I thought I'd share for those who haven't seen one like this.

Basically, there's a gasket that runs around the lid. When the knob on the top of the lid gets screwed down, the gasket expands and forms a hermetic seal against the inside lip of the jar. When this thing was new, the seal was incredibly strong. To open it, you just unscrewed the knob on top. Over the years, the rubber in the gasket has eroded to the point it longer seals. It even came with a funky little magnetic humidifying sponge that stuck to the metal under the porcelain in the lid.

I've looked high and low for another, but as the saying goes, "They don't make em like the used to". Oh well, it was a good 30 year run!

TobacJar1_zpsdq9ncydg.jpg
[/url][/img]

I love these old pieces of vintage collectible tobacciania, but for functionality, nothing compares to a good old ugly piece of Tupperware.

I can't really tell from your pictures but is it possible that the rubber ring could be replaced? If you can pry it off of the lid you might be able to take it to a place that sells seals and O-rings and find a replacement. Might be worth a shot since it sounds as if you really like the way the jar performed when it worked properly.

swhipple":7egiik66 said:
I can't really tell from your pictures but is it possible that the rubber ring could be replaced? If you can pry it off of the lid you might be able to take it to a place that sells seals and O-rings and find a replacement. Might be worth a shot since it sounds as if you really like the way the jar performed when it worked properly.
This.

There are several places here in the Emerald City that specialize in matching a seal, gasket, or O-ring. Just bring it in and they'll mic it and get you a replacement.

Hoping you can get this replaced as it looks like a way great 'baccy jar!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for the ideas! It never occurred to me that the gasket might be replaceable. It looks so "permanent". I will see if I can disect it and possibly replace the gasket - since it isn't working as it is. It was an awesome jar, and has stood watch over many lonely vigils with me. I'd love to get it fixed up.
Brewdude, if there's any way to PM me a name of a business I could contact, I would owe you sir. I live in a very rural area of NW Colorado we affectionately call Ice Station Zebra, so our offerings for gasket work here are rather meager. Still, I'll ask around. This whole thread has improved my mood considerably and I have renewed hope that perhaps something can be done. If not, she served me well.

And Dutch, I couldn't agree more with you. I use Ball jars and a couple of Macbaren Jars I have. Still, when you say "vintage collectible tobacciana" it stings a bit! I bought this thing new! Oh well, I guess I'm getting to be "vintage" myself :) .

Thanks all!

You migt give some thought to contacting one of the pipe/tobacco e-tailers such as smolingpipes.com about this jar and or a source of gasket material as they carry several different types of ceramic humidors and might help you find a direction to go to bringing your old friend back to life !! :twisted: :twisted:

Dottleman":wdobwj1i said:
Thanks for the ideas! It never occurred to me that the gasket might be replaceable. It looks so "permanent". I will see if I can disect it and possibly replace the gasket - since it isn't working as it is. It was an awesome jar, and has stood watch over many lonely vigils with me. I'd love to get it fixed up.
Brewdude, if there's any way to PM me a name of a business I could contact, I would owe you sir. I live in a very rural area of NW Colorado we affectionately call Ice Station Zebra, so our offerings for gasket work here are rather meager. Still, I'll ask around. This whole thread has improved my mood considerably and I have renewed hope that perhaps something can be done. If not, she served me well.

And Dutch, I couldn't agree more with you. I use Ball jars and a couple of Macbaren Jars I have. Still, when you say "vintage collectible tobacciana" it stings a bit! I bought this thing new! Oh well, I guess I'm getting to be "vintage" myself  :) .

Thanks all!

pm sent, and you don't owe me a thing!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Savinelli has some ceramic jars that look similar on SP, though they are pricey.

Dutch":fnur0d1s said:
I love these old pieces of vintage collectible tobacciania, but for functionality, nothing compares to a good old ugly piece of Tupperware.
I would not trust tupperware functionally at all. Plastics don't cut it.