Retiring

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
Well Gents, and Ladies, I have three more and a wake up. I'll be retiring Friday after forty-one years of service with O.R.P.D. My wife, God bless her, insisted that I buy a "retirement pipe" so I got a Neerup Classic Poker at Smoky's in Knoxville. Now I come to you, my family, to help me decide what tobacco to initiate my celebratory smoke. What say ye?:pirat: 

I say congratulations, God bless, and enjoy yourself, for you earned it! As your first retirement smoke, it's not so much what you smoke as how you smoke: Slowly, because you have all the time in the world :cheers: 

Lucky you at the end of the trail. Congratulations. Tobacco?,,whatever floats your boat.

I suggest if you like Vaper's a good 5-10 year old Escudo and of course a good cup of Joe to go with it.

Freedom at last my friend, may you keep your mind active and intrigued to make the coming years fun-filled and loving, lovely choice of retirement pipe, as it is the season soon upon us I would suggest a cannister of Christmas Cheer http://www.4noggins.com/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2013-100-g.aspx I am still totally in awe with this delicious blend, so wish we had it here, go on, have at it good Buddy. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I think burley cakes better than VAs, which you would want when breaking in a pipe, so I'd say go with your favorite burley blend

Congrats on the retirement! Only 4199 days until I can join you!

Congratulations my friend. 41 years in one place is truly an accomplishment these days.

I'll have to second Kirk's sagely advice: ring in the holiday season along with your retirement with a bowl of Christmas Cheer. Though, I'd vote for 2012, because I cannot support opening the 2013 offering until 11/30. :santa: 

Congratulations on your retirement...(oh, how I am looking forward to that day)...may I suggest Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flakes...a favorite of Kirks' and many others...wonderful tobacco!

I vote Christmas Cheer or Bullseye flake. Two of my favorites! Congratz on retirement brother.:cheers: 

Congrats on your retirement!:cheers: 
I got a bit to go to catch up to you :p 

As far as the baccy goes, I would recommend Chief Catoonah's "Princes Street Mixture" or "Bailey's Reserve"

Congratulations on your well deserved retirement. I did the same two years ago after 45 years of uninterrupted employment. You will not be sorry.
As for a celebratory tobacco, treat yourself to something 40+ years old, a fine old vintage tobacco if you can find some. You will not regret it and it would be a fitting remembrance equal to the years that you were employed.:cheers: :cheers: 

Aaahh retirement. A sweet sounding word. I enjoy mine because it give me so much time to spend with my grandkids. As to the tobacco, you can't go wrong if you smoke McCrainie's Red Flake. I think it's the finest Red Va. tobacco on the planet. A bit pricey but worth every penny. I smoke it in a smooth Neerup bent apple. A great combination. Hope you get settled into retirement very soon and you get to do all those things you've been waiting to do for so long. :) 

AJ

Congrats on the retirement, in 20 more years I can join you! I seem to like a burley in a new pipe too, then you can change it to what ever you like later with out the chance of a ghost hiding in it

Congrats on retirement and many thanks for your years on the streets and highways. Folks have made many good recomendations, but I like FVF.

Either 254 days or 619 days, depending on whether I leave on my next birthday or the one after that. I'm looking forward to it!

The Department gave me a retirement reception followed by a dinner last night. It was very nice. They gave me a plaque with the Department Patch and some kind parting words, a wallet badge with retired in place of my number and they are going to let me keep my badge after they mount it in a shadow box. The guys in CID (where I've been for the last year) gave me a nice Peterson bent billiard with a beautiful flame grain.
It feels strange coming in this morning but I have to work today, tomorrow and Friday. I like the suggestions I've heard so far. Keep 'em coming. I'll let you know Friday what I decide. :D 

My policeman son is in CID for the county sheriff office for several years now and at the risk of being a braggart parent, he has become a particularly fine detective. He seems to thrive on the work.

My recommendation for your celebratory smoke would be a 4noggins bulk alternative called Prairie Wind ... it's uncommonly fine and based on your Exhausted Rooster experience, is one I think you might enjoy.