reverse calabash bamboo I am almost done with

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
1457628_257341761090125_1137000566_n.jpg

The polliwog rev'sbash

Will post more pictures when I finish the button and give it the final polish on Wednesday

rev

that comment along with your avatar makes me afraid... I won't sleep tonight

rev

I really dig it, never seen a reverse with an alternative wood chamber. What kind of wood is that?

mark":uhiph7jj said:
Interesting
this is what my mom always said when she hated something and didn't want to hurt someone's feelings ;)

i.keenum":2k6ubh4u said:
I really dig it, never seen a reverse with an alternative wood chamber. What kind of wood is that?
Thread title. ;-)

Interesting.

With all due respect, the shank appears 'way large for the bowl. I love the bowl -- the overly large shank = not so much.

it is a bit imbalanced, I was trying to go for the look where the two pieces were "separated" by a thinner piece. I think I should have made the bridge between shank and bowl thinner, and the shank shorter. But live and learn. In person I think it is a striking pipe, and is going to smoke like a dream. And yes mr Keenum, I do believe I am the first to make the calabash in bamboo.

rev

reverse bamboo calabash! Yeah, love those words put together like that. I think I'll write a poem about the activities of someone who smokes one, metaphorizing the parts of the pipe while the protagonist handles the pipe with panache!

Ahh -- [palm to the forehead] -- it's a reverse calabash! Somehow I missed reading that :oops: 

Oh yeah, I bet it's a superb smoker :) 

According to the user "acme," who has made RC pipes with chambers of differing size, the bigger the condensation chamber, the better it works, cooling the smoke and amping the flavor. Thus I agree the shank looks overly large, but if it contains a large/larger chamber, it might fulfill the purpose of a RC that much better. Think of the early RCs that were made by Revyagin? (one of those trendy Russians); ugly as sin! They looked like two lumps, one the bowl and the other the chamber. I remember seeing them before I understood what had been attempted, thinking that they were some of the most strange, misshapen pipes I'd ever seen.

I've seen one double calabash on, I think, Quality Briar's site, which I can't find now to provide a link. It indeed has the bowl insert of a traditional calabash but also the reverse calabash chamber; and the design was gorgeous, grain and all, with a Dublin bowl and a cherrywood-type wavy stem of the kind that I've seen Paolo Becker and Rad Davis carve so well. Take a look at the left column, third down. That's what I'm trying to say.

http://www.raddavispipes.com/gallery.cfm?PageNum_getGalleryPipesRet=9

It was still more beautiful. So, the RC design does not have to be clunky, even if it is a double calabash.

It has a huge calabash chamber. And I agree a good pipe should be both aesthetically pleasing and functional.

Rev