Reverse Pack Method?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: Spiral smoke, eh? Seems like a nice enough guy. I'm half convinced he did that as a joke.

If not, perhaps he has another video about how to properly turn down your lighter so you don't char the edge of your bowl as you light.

8)

Kyle Weiss":0clpczv2 said:
:lol: Spiral smoke, eh? Seems like a nice enough guy. I'm half convinced he did that as a joke.

If not, perhaps he has another video about how to properly turn down your lighter so you don't char the edge of your bowl as you light.

8)
Haha, he seems innocent, right? Then I saw this guy do it too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoaD6NQztDU
Is this just another case of the vicious chain where one fella is convinced and then passes the tip on to another and so on, all the while it was poor advice in the first place?

Who knows. If I had a dime for every "...now THIS is how you load a pipe..." bit. :lol: I guess some people are really into method and variants thereof.

I just want to smoke my pipe. If I have issue with doing so, I adapt. 8)

Kyle Weiss":d64gb4os said:
Who knows. If I had a dime for every "...now THIS is how you load a pipe..." bit. :lol: I guess some people are really into method and variants thereof.

I just want to smoke my pipe. If I have issue with doing so, I adapt. 8)
Tou-ché. But'cha know, there wouldn't be a "Pipe Techniques" section on BoB if it didn't spark curiosity in a good chunk of its members :lol:
Just so you're aware, I've run out of Chap Stick in the midst of this post, so this is where I'll place the blame for my inevitable lip drought. THANKS A LOT!

Well I hadn't heard of this method (heard of many, many others) until you posted this link... I decided to try it with some rubbed out Marlin Flake and a little Shell briar Canadian that has a somewhat narrow chamber... I'm about 2/3 through the bowl now and I have to say it's a cool, cool smoke. And I have not needed to relight.

I think I'll keep using this method with my smaller pipes (most of my pipes are small) because I feel like it's given me a better pack than my usual two-part tamper method. The chamber on this pipe is too narrow for my stubby fingers so I am forced to use a tamper...

Thanks for the link!

I've tried and it works surprisingly well. It's been around for years. The first time I saw it done was by an old rancher. He fired that old pipe up, stuck in it his mouth and didn't touch it with his hands again until it was time to knock out the ash. I was impressed at the time.

I've seen that video before but haven't yet tried it myself as the bulk of what I smoke are flakes. However, I could see this working amazingly with the shag cut Dark Birdseye by GH. I'll have to give it a try sometime!

s.ireland":cuc4756e said:
Well I hadn't heard of this method (heard of many, many others) until you posted this link... I decided to try it with some rubbed out Marlin Flake and a little Shell briar Canadian that has a somewhat narrow chamber... I'm about 2/3 through the bowl now and I have to say it's a cool, cool smoke. And I have not needed to relight.

I think I'll keep using this method with my smaller pipes (most of my pipes are small) because I feel like it's given me a better pack than my usual two-part tamper method. The chamber on this pipe is too narrow for my stubby fingers so I am forced to use a tamper...

Thanks for the link!
And thank YOU for giving it a shot and lending your feedback.

We all eventually find a method that works well for us.

I may flirt with other methods, but in the long run for fully rubbed out tobacco I always return to one simple rule that works every time: "Pack the pipe looser than you think you ought to".

When I deviate from this rule I end up with tung burn and relights.

Todd

taharris":6od6yz2y said:
I always return to one simple rule that works every time: "Pack the pipe looser than you think you ought to".

In fairness to him, the guy's method doesn't lend itself to be the kind that would impact a pipe with tobacco too easily--but I'm of this same school of thought. Beyond that, I think my smoking method has overcome shortcomings in my packing method more times than not: low and slow. 8)

Fine, fine, I'll give this method a shot, I shouldn't be a craphead curmudgeon about it. I feel as if I finally had a simple, good routine going on, and now some smart-alec, nice old man has to come along...

...stupid methods and their stupid...methodyness....

8)

It sounds like this method has been working for some folks. Looks like I may have to give it a try!

taharris":zbdtjyae said:
We all eventually find a method that works well for us.

I may flirt with other methods, but in the long run for fully rubbed out tobacco I always return to one simple rule that works every time: "Pack the pipe looser than you think you ought to".

Todd
Interestingly enough, I've followed this method for a few years and had terrible luck. Constant relights, tons of dottle left that I couldn't get to light, the works. Over the last few weeks, I've done the opposite: pack the pipe tighter than I think I ought to. Since I've started doing that, it's been false light, light about halfway, light the dottle a few times. I may just have a gentler hand at the pack than others, but this has been working beautifully for me.

I'll give this new youtube method a shot and report back when I do!

That's actually a really good point, Uber. That school of thought of "pack lighter than you think you need to," applies beautifully for those that have a heavy hand, but if you tend to go light anyway, I can see it having the opposite effect. I think I'm somewhere in the middle, meanwhile also a slave to my own whimsy--sometimes I have to make a conscious effort, undistracted, to how I'm packing, or else I'll get outside after lighting 300 times and say, "...stupid pipe, stupid tobacco...what the hell did I do?" :lol:

Can someone give me a the basic idea of what's going on? I can't watch youtube videos at work.

Dave_In_Philly":c7gzxc4j said:
Can someone give me a the basic idea of what's going on? I can't watch youtube videos at work.
So, this old dude's got this way of taking a palm of loose, ribbon tobacco, making a little mound out of it, inverting his empty pipe, twisting it like a tuning knob over said bacca mound, and it kind of pushes up in a supposed helical way in the bowl, he pushes it down a little, practically roasts the top of it with a way-too-big flame, and all the while speaking with such calm, sweet reverence there has to be a point to it. :lol:

I think this is what I've also heard called the "anti gravity fill". Never really worked for me, but to each their own.
Also, thank you Kyle for using impact properly as a verb. :cheers: The other, more common, and incorrect way has always been a pet peeve of mine. But to be honest, I'm kind of a dick.

Kyle Weiss":ny3rtsnt said:
the guy's method doesn't lend itself to be the kind that would impact a pipe with tobacco too easily

Just for giggles I tried this method a few minutes ago with some MaBaren Burley London blend in a Peterson bent brandy, worked amazingly well. Easy to do, good pack with a good loose draw, easy to light and keep lit. Wouldn't work for a lot of other cuts, but your standard rubbed out or ribbon cut blend, why not?

George Kaplan":f288zp9j said:
I think this is what I've also heard called the "anti gravity fill". Never really worked for me, but to each their own.
Also, thank you Kyle for using impact properly as a verb. :cheers: The other, more common, and incorrect way has always been a pet peeve of mine. But to be honest, I'm kind of a dick.

Kyle Weiss":f288zp9j said:
the guy's method doesn't lend itself to be the kind that would impact a pipe with tobacco too easily
I wouldn't give me too much credit, I'm pretty sure I'm capable of using the "wrong" variant, which I'm assuming is akin to: "Boy, that Jackknife Plug sure has an impact!" Oh well. Pretty good for an uneducated jerk, eh? :cheers:

I didn't get a chance to try this dude's method--the McC 2035 was a little chunky for this. 8)

Sorry, but this method is too messy and elaborate for me. I like cleanliness and simplicity. And, considering that I pack each bowl differently for each blend, this would just not work for me. But it may be worth a try for those unsatisfied with the results of their current packing efforts.

Is this where he hold the pipe in his hand upside down and lifts tobacco to it and shoves it in letting whatever falls out fallout??
If so, to the best of my knowledge it's an old Danish way of doing it.

I developed a 'technique' I've had alot of success with, but it has alot of steps.
1. I put the pipe in one hand
2. I grab tobacco between the thumb and two fingers
3. I put the grabbed up tobacco in the pipe.
4. I use the now empty hand to pick up a light.
5. I light the lighter.
6. I hold the flame just above the tobacco
7. I inhale gently.