Review - Jar Alternative - Good Grips POP Container

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
Early on in my return to pipe smoking about a month ago, I ran into Neill Archer Roan's blog "Passion for Pipes". One of his posts dealt with storage:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/11/28/keep-your-favorite-tobaccos-optimally-fresh.html

Near the end he mentions the Good Grips POP Containers and calls out the .3 and .8 quart sizes. As it so happens I was at the Bed Bath & Beyond today picking up my third box of 8 ounce Ball jars when I noticed they had these containers. After browsing the selection, I decided to take home the .5 quart size rectangular container.

What Neill fails to clearly point out is this: once the button pops out of the lid and releases the seal, the button becomes a handle for the lid. This is simple brilliance.

The canisters are too expensive as a general purpose long-term storage option, but for your favorite blend that you always seem to reach for (Storm Front anybody?), it's perfect: Easy to get into, easy to reseal, and with the variety of sizes available, you're sure to find a size and shape that fits your particular consumption level and filling style.

I picked up the .5 quart rectangular Good Grips POP Container at my local Bed Bath & Beyond for $9.99. Recommended.

My standard Avery 5160 label fits nicely on the lid.

Side view with lid sealed.

Side view after pressing in the button, releasing the seal. The button becomes a nice easy to use handle.

Lid off. Nice big, wide opening for easy pipe filling.

With my Peterson pipe for size reference.

Nice. Thanks for posting the info with the pics. I'll give it a try next time I'm in a BB&B.

Nice. (Thanks for the post.) And, it's worth mentioning the obvious: they're rectangular and stackable. Looks like a versatile storage solution.

ruta2":9r8yml47 said:
Nice. (Thanks for the post.) And, it's worth mentioning the obvious: they're rectangular and stackable. Looks like a versatile storage solution.
Yes, I did leave out the stackable part. Thank for the reminder!

Not all the POP Container are rectangular, though. Some are square. I got the rectangular because I think they fit better with how I fill the pipe: Grab tobacco from one side, hold the pipe over the other so that the container catches what drops. In other words, it helps me be lazy.

I like it! Next time I'm in a BB&B I'll keep an eye out for these. Thanks for the tip!

Neat, but I'm cheap. When I stop using recycled, empty food containers and get Ball/Mason jars, that's going to be a BIG step in chruchin' up the smoking experience in Chateau Weiss.

Kyle Weiss":um55703j said:
Neat, but I'm cheap. When I stop using recycled, empty food containers and get Ball/Mason jars, that's going to be a BIG step in chruchin' up the smoking experience in Chateau Weiss.
Have you tried the jars 4c HomeStyle grated cheese comes in? I wouldn't trust them long term, but for short term storage coupled with a little ziplock, they work nicely keeping the moisture in. . . . :)

DrT999":faa3o2dx said:
Kyle Weiss":faa3o2dx said:
Have you tried the jars 4c HomeStyle grated cheese comes in? I wouldn't trust them long term, but for short term storage coupled with a little ziplock, they work nicely keeping the moisture in. . . . :)
PRE-GRATED CHEESE? Sir, I'm a Nevadan, but I'm not a rube. 8)

Actually, my plastic food-safe gelato jars are good for now--yep, I use ziplocs in tandem with 'em, too. You know, before I grab real jars.

The thing I like about the POP container is just how thick the walls are. I take it as a good sign that, with the lid on and sealed, I can't smell the tobacco from outside the container.

So your saying short term. Is that because plastic containers can be gas permeable to a certain extent?

desertpiper":u1sttsny said:
So your saying short term. Is that because plastic containers can be gas permeable to a certain extent?
No, not at all. Long term storage (or cellaring) implies you're storing a whole bunch more tobacco. At my BB&B, the 8oz jars are less that $1 a jar. This container was $10, or 10x more. If you've got the money to burn, go for it, but for me, the cost difference is prohibitive to store all my tobacco in these. At this cost, these are better for those one or two (or so) tobaccos you want to have readily available all the time, aka, short-term storage.

Follow-up note:

When traveling, be careful where you put this. If you pack this in, say, a backpack with other heavy-ish item, said item may accidentally press too hard on the button, causing it to release the seal. Then, if you were to set the backpack down, the lid could move off the base enough to allow your tobacco to spill out into your backpack.