Review of Halfling's Leaf

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Reaction score
So, I've been trying to expand my horizons past aromatics but I was recently sucked in by an awesome review I read on pipesmagazine.com
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/halflings-leaf-review-by-baron-samedi

I ordered up a few ounces and got the opportunity to fire up a bowl this morning. I used my trusty meerschaum as it seems to give me the "truest" flavor when I'm smoking something new.

First, let me describe the smell. I opened the pouch and was greeted by a nice blend of vanilla and honey with a touch of nutiness. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Actually, the smell made me downright hungry for cereal. Odd sensation, but it smells that good.

It's a sort of ribbon cut tobacco typical of house-blend aromatics, golden to light brown in color. It is a nice, moist tobacco, but not overly. In fact, it felt "about right" so I didn't bother with drying. It packed easy and fired right up with lovely, sweet smoke. In fact, it only required one relight through the bowl, which is unusual for me.

The smoke was fantastic. The first half of the bowl was filled with delicious honey and vanilla with a hint of almond somewhere in the back. As I smoked my way through the bowl, dark chocolate and malt came through with the other flavors giving way somewhat. There was an interesting, very light, taste of spice, maybe cinnamon throughout, as well.

I experienced absolutely ZERO bite with this tobacco. I even tried to get it to bite, but it was cool and mild the entire time. I know aromatics can sometimes be thought of as "training wheels" for pipe smokers, but this tobacco is well worth a try...

Sent the blender an email. I'll give it a shot. If it's not my cup of tea i know who to send it to. :p

DrumsAndBeer":d4a6uy7q said:
Sent the blender an email. I'll give it a shot. If it's not my cup of tea i know who to send it to. :p
Let me know when you order. I'll be sure to tell you how much you're not gonna like it. :lol:

Hemingway - I'm quite looking forward to it. Your description sounds like it will be right down my alley!

I posted this on the other forum but since Hafling's Leaf is getting attention, figured it was good to post here also.

Received my Hafling's Leaf order today. Still a newby so I will try not to sound like I know what I am talking about.
I will say it was best smoking tobacco I have tried so far as far as how it stayed lit. The pouch smell is sweet brandy and raisins.
The moisture was just right. The fewest relights so far. The only problem was almost too much smoke for me. wow. My bowl never got too hot and no tounge bite at all.
I usually have a little tobacco left at the bottom when smoking and this bowl burnt down to nice mostly white ash.
I like a little sweetness in my tobacco and this kept some sweetness till about 2/3 through. I then got a change where more tobacco was comeing through. Took a drink of water then I am not sure what I tasted but I liked it.
All in all I am pleased and look forward to smoking some in my Luna Churchwarden when it comes in.
Thanks Jackleeblend for the fine smoke.

Thanks guys for the kind words and I am glad you like it. :D

I have been lurking here for about a year.

I will let you know when the 2 other blends are out, another Aro and an English.

Hey, good to hear from you pipeinhand, with luck I should be placing my order soon.

pipeinhand":s0tnx05v said:
Thanks guys for the kind words and I am glad you like it. :D

I have been lurking here for about a year.

I will let you know when the 2 other blends are out, another Aro and an English.
Welcome! Yeah, please let us know. If they're half as good as HL, I'm in!

If you aren't wearing these while smoking this weed, you are doing it wrong.

ee7f_plush_halfling_slippers_inuse.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee7f/

I received my order today! Great job on this blend pipeinhand!

When I opened the pouch, I was greeted with an aroma that reminded me of sweet raisins and vanilla. Perhaps a touch of chocolate.
Then came time to smoke. Of course, I had to load this one into my Wizard Churchwarden (to get the truest experience of course)! The taste was nice and smooth. Whiffs of vanilla with a slight hint of spice came my way. A little lighter than I had expected, but excellent never the less. This is one blend that I could smoke any time of day! I'm going to have to order some more, just for the "cellar!"

Congrats on a job well done! This blend is highly recommended!

Toad Hall":5z66iekh said:
I received my order today! Great job on this blend pipeinhand!

When I opened the pouch, I was greeted with an aroma that reminded me of sweet raisins and vanilla. Perhaps a touch of chocolate.
Then came time to smoke. Of course, I had to load this one into my Wizard Churchwarden (to get the truest experience of course)! The taste was nice and smooth. Whiffs of vanilla with a slight hint of spice came my way. A little lighter than I had expected, but excellent never the less. This is one blend that I could smoke any time of day! I'm going to have to order some more, just for the "cellar!"

Congrats on a job well done! This blend is highly recommended!
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

In the short time that I have been smoking, this has been one of my top 2. Rum raisens and chocolate. I thought it was great.

Thanks I am glad you enjoy it. Interesting, you are the second person that has said Rum taste, and it has none. I guess the flavors are melding well.