Review Of MM's New Maple Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiltjlp

Reaction score
MM will soon begin offering Maple hardwood pipes in their three most popular corncob shapes, the apple-Diplomat, the Spool, and the Country Gentleman. I was able to purchase one of each to smoke and evaluate, and will offer my honest opinion, pro and con, in order to help you decide if these new basket pipes might deserve a place in your rack. They will sell at $14.59 each, and the trio will ship for $51.27 at least in the US, which seems like a fairly good price.

MapleCobs.jpg

All three have the same construction, and the same improved Danish Bit that their cobs have, and come with the same filter most of us remove and discard. So if you like the open draw that make cobs cool smoking, you’ll like the draw of these Maple pipes too. It seems to me that any blend smoked in these cob-shaped hardwood pipes tastes truer, or maybe fresher, than the tobacco will taste in cobs, briar, or metal pipes. It won’t be obvious with every tobacco, but several blends I enjoy regularly really did taste better in one of these Maple Cobs, as I now call then

One thing I will caution about is that these Maple pipes do seem to smoke hotter than corncobs. Luckily I smoke very slowly, and was able to control the amount of heat coming through the bowl. But as Strong Irish, who has smoked one of these Maple Cobs mentioned, unless you smoke as slowly as I do, you’ll probably need to allow cake to build in them, before you’ll find them acceptable. I like them so much that I have ordered a second set of three, although I don’t need any more pipes. While these Maple hardwood pipes won’t replace my cobs, or my few briars, I will add them to my rotation and look forward to enjoying them.

Nice general review, thanks.
I'm not surprised at all to hear that a bowl cake would smooth out the smoke.
How does a maple cake build up compare to a briar one in terms of time :?:

Soooo, it looks like the apple shape would be the coolest smoker, since it puts most wood where the fire will glow longest and hottest.

I'm wondering if the move to maple is at least partially a response to a cob shortage. Damn ethanol.

Perfect initial review. I look forward to getting on even more.

8)

yadan":h7hx4wbd said:
Nice general review, thanks.
I'm not surprised at all to hear that a bowl cake would smooth out the smoke.
How does a maple cake build up compare to a briar one in terms of time :?:
Since I've only had them a week, I couldn't answer that yet. But the inner walls of the Diplomat Maple are getting a bit rough, so I would expect them to form cake fairly easily.

KevinM":7nmj1zwo said:
Soooo, it looks like the apple shape would be the coolest smoker, since it puts most wood where the fire will glow longest and hottest.

I'm wondering if the move to maple is at least partially a response to a cob shortage. Damn ethanol.
Yes, but if you push any of them too hard, they tend to really heat up. Which could be a good way to force yourself to smoke slower, since you'll notice right away when they begin to heat up.

So...

...when will they be available? I assume MM's main site will carry them until they hit other vendors...

Kyle Weiss":a4baugku said:
So...

...when will they be available? I assume MM's main site will carry them until they hit other vendors...
If I remember what Marilyn told me, within a month or so.