Revitalizing some OGS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaydeG

Reaction score
A friend gave me an open tin of Orlik Golden Sliced and while it's not crumbling to the touch, it does seem a little on the dry side. I hear often that some blends are better dried out. Being a new guy, I've seen a couple of methods for rehydrating the tin. Any thoughts or ideas on how to reclaim this tin or how to tell if that's even needed? Thanks.

Hey Wayne. Just open the tin and drape a damp paper napkin over the rim and set the lid on top (not sopping wet, just enough so that it´s soaked through). Let it sit and check it after 20 mins or so. When the tobacco is somewhat moist, not drenched, you´ll be in business. Doesn´t take as long as you´d think, especially if it´s hot out.

Good luck...

Or, if you're the impatient sort, spread it out in the wire butterfly net thingy with the handle your wife uses to drain spaghetti. Hold it in the steam spout of a boiling tea kettle for maybe five seconds. Jar it up and check after the new moisture's had time to reach equalibrium (a half hour or so). Adjust to taste from there.

:face:

MisterE":smyd04z3 said:
Hey Wayne. Just open the tin and drape a damp paper napkin over the rim and set the lid on top (not sopping wet, just enough so that it´s soaked through). Let it sit and check it after 20 mins or so. When the tobacco is somewhat moist, not drenched, you´ll be in business. Doesn´t take as long as you´d think, especially if it´s hot out.

Good luck...
I gave this a shot in small batches. Worked great. Thanks for the tips. Really liked the OGS.

IMHO dryer is better.
I would smoke it the way it is.

"Theres a story behind every bowl"

nosenhoj":crgosi18 said:
IMHO dryer is better.
I would smoke it the way it is.

"Theres a story behind every bowl"
Me too- finding a forgotten tin with a couple dry flakes in it is wonderful!

I use a very large, shallow bowl, like what you would serve mashed potatoes in at a family dinner. I spread the tobacco out, saturate and wring out a clean kitchen towel, and cover the bowl. I check every hour until I am happy with the moisture level. Works a treat!

Mix one partial, dryed out tin of OGS with 5 (five) pounds of C&D Bayou Morning, spritz heavly with rum, mix vigoursly.
Enjoy.
I like everything about OGS except the after taste of stale cigarettes.
JMHO.

sand18f":d0arit7i said:
Mix one partial, dryed out tin of OGS with 5 (five) pounds of C&D Bayou Morning, spritz heavly with rum, mix vigoursly.
Enjoy.
I like everything about OGS except the after taste of stale cigarettes.
JMHO.
Sand, we're on the same train of thought here! I was just wondering the same thing last night after giving my pipes sniff after cleaning. The two that I used to smoke Astley's No. 99 smelled like chocolate (!) and the pipe dedicated to OGS smelled just like...stale cigs!