Rhamnus pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
So I am looking at these pipes on ebay. Rhamnus pipes from China. Some interesting looks. Anybody tried one?

Clueless,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130437603644&si=xSMpucXsExxp6h%252Fp%252BKS%252BDJQCGz8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I bought this one about a month ago.

I can attest to the Ramnus pipes on ebay as being of decent quality, the seller has many different styles to choose from and the prices are pretty cheap...
Here is my take on Ramnus so far:

Rock Hard! This thing seems like it could knock someone out, but being so solid, it is heavy and rather dense. It can heat up a little faster than briar, but the smaller bowls can usually be tamed. I will say that I dont know if I'd buy any of his pipes that have a rhamnus stem, his fitted ebonite stems are well designed and super durable. the only drawback being that the stem is joined to the pipe by a threaded metal coupling, which can get a little gunked up. If you are considering buying one I'd say go for it.

I like these current Auctions, it takes a while to ship from China, and his packaging absolutely sucks but the pipes are pretty hardcore and he seems eager to please.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harder-than-Briar-Rhamnus-smoking-pipes-handmade-yd230-/130452173126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5f8e3146

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harder-than-Briar-Rhamnus-smoking-pipes-handmade-yd110-/130454544257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5fb25f81

Thanks for the response. With Secret Santa shopping and the rest of the holiday stuff I'll probably hold off for a while but I appreciate the feedback. I generally prefer larger bowls so I'll keep my eyes on them to see what comes up.

Anybody else concerned about buying a pipe from China? :suspect:
I am leery about quality control and the possibility of contaminates in the stem / bowl.

DoverPipes":bhl94wlu said:
Anybody else concerned about buying a pipe from China? :suspect:
I am leery about quality control and the possibility of contaminates in the stem / bowl.
I agree, I see more and more about cups, toys, flatware etc from China that has ridiculous amounts of lead and or other heavy metals used in the paints and finishes.

Of course these may be exempt from this issue but it's something to consider.

so you guys trying to get me to give up my new little China pipe?

It seems pretty clean and well made. The stem is a high gloss finish and I put a rubber mouthpiece on it. The stain used for the wood seems pretty light. I agree it is alarming how much stuff comes out of china with contaminants, but that is mostly the mass produced crap. I will email the seller on this issue and see if I can get him to describe his manufacturing materials in detail.

Well, I should have mentioned that I'm a known paranoid around my friends so...

About everything else that you purchase for every day use comes from China, you might as well purchase pipes made there. :roll:

As far as the bowl/ wood being contaminated it is very unlikely, at the most clean the bowls with Pure Grain Alcohol , but other than that I would think there as safe as any., now quality I have no clue, it looks like he has cheap pipes & better pipes from what I see on ebay , His top end pipes look like great pipes , maybe I will just buy one or two and come back with a report in the future.