Richmond, VA.. CORPS news

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docwatson

Reaction score
Just received this.

CORPS News Bulletin: (August 28, 2014)
CORPS-30yr-Logo-one inch.jpg

The executive committee of the Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers announce that this 30th annual Pipesmokers’ Exposition and Celebrationwill be our last expo. We have worked tirelessly over these years to provide the pipesmoking and pipecollecting community with what has become known as the ‘don’t miss show of the pipe year’. Ours is the longest running continuous annual show in the world, and to many people, ‘simply the best in the world’.

This decision has not come easily, as you can imagine. We have discussed this at great length over many months. In spite of the fun and great camaraderie that we local members have enjoyed for so long, our show requires exhausting work by many people and we for several years have discussed ‘taking a break’. We believe that now is the time.

We thank all of our many supporters from around the entire world for their 30 years of support. Without you the show would not have evolved to become ‘the best’ in the world. We are so humbled and so grateful for all of your contributions to the world of pipesmoking and pipecollecting and for being with us here in Richmond, Virginia, USA.

We will continue to be an active local club (you’re welcome anytime!)and look forward to attending and supporting the other pipesmokers’ events around this great world of ours, as you have supported our events.

We invite you to come and be a part of THIS 30th Celebration(October 10, 11, & 12, 2014),to gather one last time with our pipe smoking friends and to be a part of this momentous event!

R.B. Metcalf, President

Personally this is a very sad message for me. I have attended almost every annual show since the inception and will miss this event more than any other. Great folks, great venue, Southern hospitality at its best. :(

When I hear/read stuff like this, I wonder about the longevity of the pipe smoking hobby and if there will be any clubs when I'm of retirement(LOL) age, assuming the laws even allow smoking.

bentbulldog":loyrqjzz said:
When I hear/read stuff like this, I wonder about the longevity of the pipe smoking hobby and if there will be any clubs when I'm of retirement(LOL) age, assuming the laws even allow smoking.
Not to be pessimistic but you are correct. By the time you are able to retire smoking will be outlawed and by prescription only after the FDA takes over all control of tobacco. It will be speakeasy type of groups like we saw during prohibition. Stock up now, with all the tobacco you can store away for relaxation, enjoyment and peace of mind. It's up to the younger generation to keep our hobby alive and to show others how pipe smoking is beneficial to one's lifestyle instead of the extremists that only see things their way. Just an old fart's opinion. LOL

riff raff":slcvi8gq said:
That was sad news.  I'll be at the last event.
I'll see you there Al, to celebrate the last of the best shows in the USA.
Andy

I'm part of a new pipe club in Winchester VA. We've talked about emulating the CORP club moving forward. I'm' not sure can pick up the show gauntlet this soon!

Andy: I'll look forward to seeing you at the show.

Sad news, indeed.

You're absolutely right, Doc, it'll be soon time, if not already, for the younger gen of pipe smokers to keep up the CPR to keep the hobby breathing.

This is sad news and I am so sorry to have never made it to this show.

This stinks because I was really hoping to go because my family lives in Richmond. Unfortunately I have to work that weekend. I have never been to a pipe show but I was hoping this would be my first and become an annual trip for me.

I feel your pain Kaitlyn. I live up in Northern Virginia but my sister lives down in the Richmond area so I could sometimes work that combo visit. I too will miss this year's event traveling with my wife to see family and am sad I won't be able to go to this show again. It was really great.