Richmond

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wide Awake

Reaction score
Guys,

I will be shortly transfering to Richmond Virginia with my job, and a promotion! Can anyone enlighten me about the area?

Mike Green

I played ball at UR back in the late 80's. But the city has changed a ton since then, I'm sure. Be sure to check out the Confederate Museum. Other than that, no clue here, sorry.

Nice city. If you are into Civil War things, there are a ton of battlefields close to or in the city. Monument Ave is a must see as is the old city cemetary. There are a lot of nice "bedroom communities" around the city proper. They also have a great pipe show every year and a great pipe club, CORPS- Congress of Richmond Pipe Smokers

That be my F-4E from the 34th TFS, Korat RTAFB Thailand. FTRPLT

Unfortunately, I haven't spent any time in Richmond since the 60's. However, you are going to love the Tidewater Peninsula. Enjoy the battlefields, plantations, Yorktown, Jamestown, "The Pottery" area, and Fortress Monroe (designed and built by Robert Edward Lee!), amongst others. To the west, you will find Jefferson's and Madisons estates, plus the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. You will love the Shenandoah Valley with its wineries and scenery. Lots to do and places to see. FTRPLT

I agree. Definitely visit the battlefields. Williamsburg is about 30 minutes or so from you, and it houses a lot of history.

You're also not far from the ocean. If you decide to do a beach trip, I would recommend staying on the Hampton/Newport News side of "the tunnel". Traffic to get to VA beach is borderline ridiculous most of the time. There's also apparently a Blackbeard museum somewhere around here, but I'm not entirely certain where. I could find out for you though if you enjoy pirate things.

Also, there's lots of amazing shopping (perhaps that's my estrogen coming out) in the area too. And the seafood around here is to die for. =)