Ridding burnt rubber smell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
I bought an old GBD estate pipe with a "Tuscan Lip" vulcanite stem. I managed to clean the bowl and rid most of the mothball smell it had (it obviously sat in a closet for some time). I also cleaned the stem in oxyclean and polished it with Flitz. The stem now looks good, but has a terrible burnt rubber smell and taste.

Any idea how to fix this?

KevH":t5b67flz said:
I bought an old GBD estate pipe with a "Tuscan Lip" vulcanite stem. I managed to clean the bowl and rid most of the mothball smell it had (it obviously sat in a closet for some time). I also cleaned the stem in oxyclean and polished it with Flitz. The stem now looks good, but has a terrible burnt rubber smell and taste.

Get some of this if you want to do it yourself ( the Stem Restoration kit) or send it to them to do it or get a replacement stem to smoke it with and put the OEM stem in storage.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/

monbla256":b6nj7rcj said:
KevH":b6nj7rcj said:

Get some of this if you want to do it yourself ( the Stem Restoration kit) or send it to them to do it or get a replacement stem to smoke it with and put the OEM stem in storage.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 :) 
AJ

Maybe you should think about having an Ozone treatment done to the pipe and stem.

Try soaking the stem in olive oil for 24hrs. . Then dry (in and out) and buff with a cotton cloth (old t-shirt). Let me know your experience with this method.

KevH":kz3hmgif said:

I'm thinking the Flitz may have contributed to this smell seeing it may have certain chemicals in it that have reacted with Vulcanite and or your sense of smell is sensitive. That's not a bad thing btw, mines the same way sometimes. I can smell a mouse fart at 300 yards it seems sometimes.

Cartaphilus":8it33089 said:
KevH":8it33089 said:

I'm thinking the Flitz may have contributed to this smell seeing it may have certain chemicals in it that have reacted with Vulcanite and or your sense of smell is sensitive. That's not a bad thing btw, mines the same way sometimes. I can smell a mouse fart at 300 yards it seems sometimes.
Flitz polish is meant for METALS only. That probably could be the main culprit for sure! I'd re-clean the bit and ONLY polish with a product meant for rubber/plastic ONLY !!