Rim Weeping

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I have two pipes, a Ferndown REO and the AeroBilliard, both of which release moisture from the rim while being smoked. I'm guessing this is a sign of incomplete curing of the briar; if so it surprises me as neither pipe is cheap, and you would think the makers could at least get the curing right.

Do you mean that moisture is actually seeping from the briar like sweat on a glass of ice water?

Had that happen once with a brand new, first-smoke Peterson 80S Premiere back in 1976. Moisture was bubbling out the sides through the birdseyes. Freaky.

GREATEST first smoke I've ever had out of a new pipe.

:face: 

I've had several Ferndowns over the years, and with the exception of one they all seemed to bleed stain from the rim.

:shock: 

Holy crow, you guys. I've not experienced issues like that.

Then again, I've never owned a Ferndown. :suspect: 

UberHuberMan":18izr7t1 said:
:shock: 

Holy crow, you guys. I've not experienced issues like that.

Then again, I've never owned a Ferndown. :suspect: 
I don't either, anymore :)

First I've ever heard of this issue. Having moisture coming out of the bowl would clearly be a cause for concern. Can only think the briar wasn't dried properly first.

What a fiasco!

:evil: 

Cheers,

RR

My REO has, of course, a wine-colored rim. Now that you mention it I don't know whether it is bleeding stain or water. The AeroBilliard has a natural rim, and what bleeds on it really does look clear, and I've assumed that it is water.

alfredo_buscatti":0kmp9f08 said:
My REO has, of course, a wine-colored rim. Now that you mention it I don't know whether it is bleeding stain or water. The AeroBilliard has a natural rim, and what bleeds on it really does look clear, and I've assumed that it is water.
Are pics possible?

Bizarre. Sounds like water boiling out of the briar but there's no reason an established maker should be using briar that wet.

Considering the makers, I would think rather it is moisture from combustion, which you will get on any pipe. I have had Dunhills to very low enders bleed stain for a very long time, years.

With a bog being a petri dish and morta being incomplete fossilization, I'd be a bit concerned about that.

I would think the problem deserves asking the shop that you bought them at.  Besides paying for the pipe, you are paying for their experience.

I've been threatening to get a camera for years:). I've never thought of combustion/condensation as the cause. Hmmmmmm. . .But both pipes smoke well.

I have several Edward's Algerian briar pipes that have "sweated" when smoked for years. All have smoked well and I've enjoyed 'em all. They don't really produce droplets of moisture just what I would call a "sweat' like moisture on the exterior of the bowl all around not just on the rim.

monbla256 said:
I have several Edward's Algerian briar pipes that have "sweated" when smoked for years. All have smoked well and I've enjoyed 'em all. They don't really produce droplets of moisture just what I would call a "sweat' like moisture on the exterior of the bowl all around not just on the rim.

Yes to this. The natural finished Wilkes, Edward's, Barclay-Rexs, Burak, etc. seem to do this, most noticeable on a cross-grain that's had hell smoked out of it. The bird's-eyes seem to slightly weep an oil or something. I always associated it with the very best smokers, come to think of it. Hmmm...

alfredo_buscatti":o6eeo25q said:
I've been threatening to get a camera for years:). I've never thought of combustion/condensation as the cause. Hmmmmmm. . .But both pipes smoke well.
Alfredo, are you smoking a variety of tobaccos? I am just curious if a particular blend is playing a part in the condensation. I have 7 Ferndowns and 1 AeroBilliard and I have never noticed any condensation around the rim that I remember.

Wow!! I have never experienced such a thing in 47 years of smoking a pipe!! I do own several Ferndowns BTW. New one on me!!! FTRPLT

Odd. I haven't had this happen to me. I know some pipes seem to get a little more damp in the hand than others, usually accompanied by heat, but nothing so sopping. It's hard to say if it's my hand that's contributing sweat or if it's the pipe that's sweating. :scratch:

Well, I wouldn't wish poor pipe performance on anyone, but I am glad it's not a really serious issue.

Judging from the thread title, I was afraid that someone else had made the same mistake I once made, and ate almost an entire can of prunes. :| 

Dutch":7rg1e6fs said:
Well, I wouldn't wish poor pipe performance on anyone, but I am glad it's not a really serious issue.

Judging from the thread title, I was afraid that someone else had made the same mistake I once made, and ate almost an entire can of prunes. :| 

TMI

:suspect: 

Cheers,

RR