Robert Downey Jr: A Game of Shadows

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2031

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen A Game of Shadows yet? I've been wanting to get to the theater and see it before Christmas. Friday may be my only chance if I can carve out a couple of hours during the day.

Just saw it today. It was good, plenty of action and humor, but I liked the first movie better. It was still definitely worth watching, an enjoyable movie. The girl who plays Holmes' female counterpart was in the Swedish movie version of the Girl with the Dragon Tatto. The wife's a big fan, so it made it that much more interesting to see.

I've seen it saturday night.
I liked very much the first movie.
this one is alittle delusion, is a good action movie...with Sherlock Holmes like main carachter.
If instead of Sherlock Holmes there was Indiana Jones would not changed too much.

I just saw this last night, and thought it was excellent!

Great dialogue, funny, interesting. I was hoping there would be a thread about it on the forum.

Robert Downy Jr. (as Holmes) also smoked a lot of pipes in the film! I counted six, I think...

Wondered if anyone has run across a list of what they were?

Cheers!

slipknor":1ld725mc said:
I've seen it saturday night.
I liked very much the first movie.
this one is alittle delusion, is a good action movie...with Sherlock Holmes like main carachter.
If instead of Sherlock Holmes there was Indiana Jones would not changed too much.
I actually thought the first one was Indiana Jones-ish as well. I thought it was a good action movie but the characters could have been anyone and the movie still would have been enjoyable. I still have a hard time thinking of Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes, but I am glad that the character of Holmes can still demand a following in today's society. Maybe people who have never read the books will be compelled to read them after viewing the movies.

roogles":1ld725mc said:
I just saw this last night, and thought it was excellent!

Great dialogue, funny, interesting. I was hoping there would be a thread about it on the forum.

Robert Downy Jr. (as Holmes) also smoked a lot of pipes in the film! I counted six, I think...

Wondered if anyone has run across a list of what they were?

Cheers!

I remember after the first movie came out several people on pipe forums were looking for pipes like Robert Downey used in the movie. I'm not sure I ever saw a conclusive answer to what brand of pipe was used though. Many came to the consensus that they may be some type of Savinelli... if I were a pipe manufacturer I would love to have them use my pipes. I wonder that some company has not taken advantage of the opportunity of supplying pipes to have their name in the credits. Great advertising!

probably the most difficult thing was to present a character like Holmes to the general public.
surely Guy has done it.
anyway I liked the first movie more than the second.
in this I didn't like how it was presented Mycroft (although the actor that played was very good).

Well, I went to see A Game of Shadows today, and I actually liked this one better than the first one. I think I warmed up to Downey and Law in their roles of Holmes and Watson this go-round. I also really liked the actor that played Mycroft.

These movies will never measure up to my favorite Holmes character played by Jeremy Brett, but for what they are, they are really enjoyable in their own way. Fun time, Any fan should go see it.

Saw it Monday and liked it better than the first. Downey is smoking what appears to be a corncob in the scene with the horses ... not so sure what Doyle would've thought about that ... ;)

So does anyone know what pipe RDJ smokes in this movie? I know in the first one it's a black sandblasted billiard with a saddle bit, but the one he smokes in the second movie intrigued me. Anyone know what kind it is?