Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The preview that I saw was disturbingly bad. I hope that the movie is not as bad as the preview - perhaps they are trying to lower peoples' expectations so that anything will seem good.

Robert Downy Jr needs to learn how to get a clean shave, that 5 o'clock shadow doesn't say S Holmes to me. I like him as an actor, although I think his charactor in Tropic Thunder was closer to himself than he lets on (extreme oddball method acting). I hope he does a good job in the role, but its like playing a historical figure, he simply won't make everyone happy.

Hmmm... I could see Jude Law as Holmes before RD Jr. We shall see....

-Andrew

There is a movie poster out now for this. Can't figure out how to post it seeing as how I'm on a phone right now. But it looks promising to me...

is it just me or does this new version of holmes look extremely close to Gary Oldman in Dracula when he was in his younger form?

My first thought: SUNGLASSES?

But a little research revealed that dark-tinted glasses were indeed available in Victorian times and quite usual by the turn of the 20th c. (Originally they were indicated for people suffering from light-sensitivity due to syphillis. I rather like that... knocks a little wind out of the sails of those who wear sunglasses at all times, indoors or out.)

Looks to me like a hopeless attempt at a hybrid: Victorian stories told with Modern Hipness. (gak)

Richie has done nothing worth watching since LS&TSB, apparently having believed his own hype. An English Quentin Tarantino sort of situation.

LL":8f92hkrt said:
Looks to me like a hopeless attempt at a hybrid: Victorian stories told with Modern Hipness. (gak)

Richie has done nothing worth watching since LS&TSB, apparently having believed his own hype. An English Quentin Tarantino sort of situation.
You didn't like Snatch? That's one of my all time favorite movies.

SmokeyTweed":g431rk6b said:
I found "Rock N' Rolla" a good watch as well but hey thats just me.
I have that on DVD but haven't watched it yet.

Surely Downie is experienced with cocaine,will be interesting to see how he
plays those scenes. :twisted:

Winslow :sunny:

LL":gx2bcqob said:
Looks to me like a hopeless attempt at a hybrid: Victorian stories told with Modern Hipness.
One can't wear a tweed coat and double-billed cap all of the time. I'm looking forward to it - Downey Jr.'s a great actor.

Bad poster. He looks like a Pimp. Definitely not tall enough.

A much better choice would be Robson Green, but he already has a successful crime drama that is currently in production, Wire in the Blood, one of my favourite series that I came across while searching for something on Netflix. He can do the quick talking style that I come to associate with Holmes. He has the lankiness and the serious eyes, too.

Lisa Marie

I have faith in rdj and I like the trailer. I do hope they put out a commemorative pipe for the movie. Anyone know what type he was smoking?

I think it looks good. Obviously not true to the character but has enough "Holmes" to keep us that love the character interested. I like that they put the stick fighting (can't remember what they called that) in there.