Roll & Stuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with different ways to pack flakes.

My personal favorite is actually the one that I was most skeptical about: Roll & Stuff.

I have found that by rolling up the flake one creates a natural chimney effect so there is great air flow.

In my experience, roll & stuff gives me a nice slow burn and a great draw.

How do the rest of you pack your flakes?

Todd

Neat idea! I usually fold & stuff or rub out, but roll & stuff sounds like something I may have to try. Thanks for the idea!

I'm in for the science experiment, but it will have to wait til tuesday. I already rubbed out a flake and packed it for my morning commute tomorrow. It doesnt come up in my rotation til then.

jefe1037":6j8s1zz5 said:
I'm in for the science experiment, but it will have to wait til tuesday. I already rubbed out a flake and packed it for my morning commute tomorrow. It doesnt come up in my rotation til then.
This is the only reason I wish I had a car and a morning commute in said car.

not in a car actually. I walk from union station to work and it takes about 35 mins if I take my time. I clinch up and puff away. I keep a pipe cleaner and tamper in my pocket, and duck into doorways or behind columns to relight (normally around twice a trip. I get a few odd looks, I have started a few positive conversations, and girls who are out to smoke a cig always know that i can give them a light.... and they always say they dig the pipe -- Don't tell my wife. Chicago sucks in the winter... it should be snowing overnight. If I need supplies, Iwan Ries can be at the halfway point in my trip (aka pack a 3/4 bowl, hang out and finish it off in the shop and pack a halfie of whatever i TAD that day)

jefe1037":od3njniw said:
not in a car actually. I walk from union station to work and it takes about 35 mins if I take my time. I clinch up and puff away. I keep a pipe cleaner and tamper in my pocket, and duck into doorways or behind columns to relight (normally around twice a trip. I get a few odd looks, I have started a few positive conversations, and girls who are out to smoke a cig always know that i can give them a light.... and they always say they dig the pipe -- Don't tell my wife. Chicago sucks in the winter... it should be snowing overnight. If I need supplies, Iwan Ries can be at the halfway point in my trip (aka pack a 3/4 bowl, hang out and finish it off in the shop and pack a halfie of whatever i TAD that day)
Very nice! When the weather is a touch warmer, I plan on taking a full pipe along on the 3 mile walk to work that I have. I did this a few times before the winter came on but have been taking the El since then. Y'know, if it's a nice day tomorrow I may do just that. :)

They must be getting to know you at Iwan Ries by now. Have you had a chance to peek into their high end lounge? I've only ever plopped down in their smokers lounge in the back corner.

Here is a video on the roll and stuff method.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JfvtByV1w1Q" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Todd

I'm from Chicago; 32 years there. It makes me homesick you guys talking about things I can easily see in my head.

Until I watched the video I was thinking this referred to the same as what I do. However, no. I usually dry my flake such that if I tried rolling it length wise like this it would crumble. I usually tear the flake into lengths appropriate for the depth of the bowl I am smoking, then stack these together and fold (??) these so they resemble a small cord of firewood, and then stuff that into the bowl. This gives me a chimney effect within the bundle, and permits a very loose pack (in fact it resists tamping) that will burn quite well and draws perfectly.

UberHuberMan":01qvrt5h said:
Very nice! When the weather is a touch warmer, I plan on taking a full pipe along on the 3 mile walk to work that I have. I did this a few times before the winter came on but have been taking the El since then. Y'know, if it's a nice day tomorrow I may do just that. :)

They must be getting to know you at Iwan Ries by now. Have you had a chance to peek into their high end lounge? I've only ever plopped down in their smokers lounge in the back corner.
I doubt our nice day will come tomorrow, but here is to hoping!

I looked in the lounge, but never entered. It actually seemed CROWDED. I think the secret is out. I still want to grab a bottle of bourbon and go sit for a spell. I actually have the perfect day planned: go early, smoke a pipe and read the paper or a book or what ever. I normally start work around 10:45. If i take an early out, I could possible be done by 3, then head back (the daily pass is good for the whole day), smoke another pipe and have a drink, then meet wifey when she gets off work and take the train home with her. (I know my four hour work days are rough, aren't they?)

$750 for a yearly membership is a little too much to justify, even though you get 10-20%off everything. Maybe christmas, anniversary, and birthday rolled into one MIGHT be a possibility, but in the nice weather, I'd rather take a walk through the park anyway, so...

jefe1037":jdjegjvc said:
UberHuberMan":jdjegjvc said:

I doubt our nice day will come tomorrow, but here is to hoping!

I looked in the lounge, but never entered. It actually seemed CROWDED. I think the secret is out. I still want to grab a bottle of bourbon and go sit for a spell. I actually have the perfect day planned: go early, smoke a pipe and read the paper or a book or what ever. I normally start work around 10:45. If i take an early out, I could possible be done by 3, then head back (the daily pass is good for the whole day), smoke another pipe and have a drink, then meet wifey when she gets off work and take the train home with her. (I know my four hour work days are rough, aren't they?)

$750 for a yearly membership is a little too much to justify, even though you get 10-20%off everything. Maybe christmas, anniversary, and birthday rolled into one MIGHT be a possibility, but in the nice weather, I'd rather take a walk through the park anyway, so...
Do you drink scotch? It might be fun to meet up at Iwan Ries and share some booze and baccy some day. PM if you'd like to set up a time. :)

taharris":fiet7elq said:
I have been experimenting with different ways to pack flakes.

My personal favorite is actually the one that I was most skeptical about: Roll & Stuff.

I have found that by rolling up the flake one creates a natural chimney effect so there is great air flow.

In my experience, roll & stuff gives me a nice slow burn and a great draw.

How do the rest of you pack your flakes?

Todd
I've always dried out my flake prior to rubbing out completely to a ribbon/shag consistancy then loaded my bowl and lit 'er up. Has worked with most of the flakes that I have smoked over the years though I don't ( and haven't) smoked maybe more than 4 flake blends over the years. I have started smoking one flake on a regular basis now, McC's Virginia #27 and this method works well for me with this blend. Gonna try it when I get my new order of Oxford Flake as well. We'll see how it works :p

Rubbing out flakes is a tried and true method that should work every time.

But I would encourage you to try other methods because, in my experience, the way you pack a flake can have a big impact on the smoking experience.

If you don't rub out the flake before smoking it tends to smoke slower and have a stronger flavor (which is odd, because I would have expected that rubbing out a flake would cause it to have a stronger flavor because it is burning faster :scratch: ).

Todd

The balance point in preparing flake for smoking is that on one hand, you want to preserve the flake in a slow-burning form, and on the other hand, are trying to light and keep the flake lit. Through whatever method you choose, the strands of the flake need to be loosened; once done both needs are filled.