Rolling back into Pipeland with some FVF...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Lowry

Reaction score
I'd let my pipesmoking slack off for three or four months; was only smoking maybe once a week and not enjoying it all that much. A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was time to show the briars some affection instead of just brushing the dust off of them, so I started smoking every day after work. None of my old favorites seemed to suit me-- they were all sharp and bitey, even the formerly smooth laid-back ones like McC's Ringlow (I guess I lost some of the teflon from my tongue), so I thought I'd try building back up to it with some plain ol' Virginias I used to groove on. Got a box of FVF yesterday, and it's really hitting the spot-- enough so that I ordered another box of that and a box of BBF (which I remember as being similar) today. Looks like I'm back in the saddle, thanks to ol' Sam. Yay!

Andy Lowry":5455afue said:
I'd let my pipesmoking slack off for three or four months; was only smoking maybe once a week and not enjoying it all that much. A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was time to show the briars some affection instead of just brushing the dust off of them, so I started smoking every day after work. None of my old favorites seemed to suit me-- they were all sharp and bitey, even the formerly smooth laid-back ones like McC's Ringlow (I guess I lost some of the teflon from my tongue), so I thought I'd try building back up to it with some plain ol' Virginias I used to groove on. Got a box of FVF yesterday, and it's really hitting the spot-- enough so that I ordered another box of that and a box of BBF (which I remember as being similar) today. Looks like I'm back in the saddle, thanks to ol' Sam. Yay!
Yup. Can't go far wrong with FVF or BBF.

Cheers,

RR

You can quibble over the evaluation process all day (and there are people who do). But in the end, the Classics are the classics for a reason. 

:face:

OK, it is all your fault.  Of course it was mine too a while back.  I came back to the pipe about a year ago to stop the cigarette hacking.  Same tobacco; burned like sin.

First, I figured out I was overpacking a bit.

Second, I was making longer draws like I did with cigarettes.

With pipe smoking, so much becomes automatic.  It becomes almost an autonomic response.  You've lost that temporarily.  Relax and let it all come back.

JKenP":970ywurg said:
OK, it is all your fault.  Of course it was mine too a while back.  I came back to the pipe about a year ago to stop the cigarette hacking.  Same tobacco; burned like sin.

First, I figured out I was overpacking a bit.

Second, I was making longer draws like I did with cigarettes.

With pipe smoking, so much becomes automatic.  It becomes almost an autonomic response.  You've lost that temporarily.  Relax and let it all come back.

--------------------------

Yep, my fault. Had 5 bowls yesterday evening, so I think I'm back in bidness. I'll crack open a tin of McC Scottish here in a couple of days and see how it goes.