Ronson Whirlwind

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
Anyone here use a Ronson Whirlwind (1950's/1960's) as a pipe lighter? Any thoughts?

KevH":eukn42i2 said:
Anyone here use a Ronson Whirlwind (1950's/1960's) as a pipe lighter? Any thoughts?
I've owned several of them in the past but, can't see a good reason to use them with a pipe because of the small flame.
Personally I prefer just a cheap Bic, quick, cheap, good size flame and, I don't have to fuss with refilling it.  ;) 

I have one that my Dad left me but have never used it. The windscreen can be used up or down.

I own two of my late uncle's: one NOS and one beat to hell.  I never use them, but apparently he did, and he never smoked anything to my knowledge except a pipe stuffed with Half and Half. But as Cart says, the flame seems way too small to be effective.

Cartaphilus":42n3ttm0 said:
Personally I prefer just a cheap Bic, quick, cheap, good size flame and, I don't have to fuss with refilling it.  ;) 
+1. It is one of the mysteries of life that the cheapest lighter on the planet is also the most reliable.

From a practical perspective a 'dress lighter' is pointless today since one can't smoke anywhere dressy anyway. Just another thing to get broken, stolen or lost.