Room notes wife's perspective- surprise twist!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
Ok, I've read enough tobacco reviews to know that wives, universally are supposed to detest the smell of latakia. So when I prepared to fire up a bowl of C&D DaVinci in the presence of my wife, naturally I braced myself for the protests that tradition tells us would surely follow. Much to my delight, upon catching a whiff... my wife said, "Mmmm. I like that one." :queen:

So today, I'm smoking a bowl of Orlik's Golden Sliced... which I have seen described as fresh & fruity... the pipe smoking equivalent of a glass of orange juice. Well, I'm not so sure about THAT, but I do like it very much. I hear my wife say "Something stinks... what IS that? It smells like a porta-potty." :no:

"I ran out of tobacco dear so I'm smoking some urinal mints I scored from the janitor's closet at work while I wait for my next shipment to arrive..."

Women! They are complex indeed. :flower:

My wifes the same way...

Latakia and other orientals are A-OK.
Virginias, not so much, but tolerated..

Some Virginias like Mac B Dark Twist Roll Cake are a no no... She's never asked me Not to smoke them but I don't around her without an open window or something..

I understand exactly where you are coming from as my wife will occasionally smoke an inexpensive cigar with me while I enjoy one of my briars and so last week I decided to fill up a small Cavicchi billiard with GL Pease Resaissance and she not only liked the smell but decided that she wanted to try smoking it and she loved it! Yoo hoo! too bad it is a tobacco that is no longer available but I no there are other latakia blends that she will enjoy! :D

Yeah I'm not sure there's any science to it, I mean my gf likes the room note of 1792. :scratch:

Usually my better half likes the smell of lat blends... But I was smoking some Great Hiatus in my office, windows open, vent fan on, and when she stopped in, she gave it the thumbs-down.

P.S. When your lady pronounces your room "Cold and stinky," wait until she is well out of earshot before you say the first comeback that comes to mind. Trust me on this one.

Funny. My wife does not mind the smell of most blends I have tried...even the latakia blends. The problem is she seems to be allergic to blends that are mostly or all VA. She doesn't mind the smell, but BBF, FVF, Union Square, Boswell's Dan's Blend and McB's VA #1 have all had her sniffling and sneezing within minutes of lighting up.

Curiously, burley based blends and others that are VA based but contain Perique or Orientals (Embarcadero, Escudo, McC's Oriental mix #1) don't bother her allergies nearly as much. It makes no sense to me... :scratch:

Doc Manhattan":jzmubawa said:
P.S. When your lady pronounces your room "Cold and stinky," wait until she is well out of earshot before you say the first comeback that comes to mind. Trust me on this one.
BWAHAHAHahahaha!! :D :D :D

Mine has even busted me for THINKING of a funny comeback. Her and her damned ESP... :cyclops:

True fact - Women's sense of smell changes over the course of their monthly cycles. Apparently this gives them better abilities to sniff out the good breeders (or some other such nonsense) during their most fertile times. I have no doubt that this affects their perception of our room notes. If she likes it now, there's no guarantee she'll like it in 2 weeks (and vice-versa).

Complex creatures indeed...

-Andrew

My wife just got home and passed me in the garage as I was smoking a bowl of Sam Gawith- Full Virginia Flake: "that smells like an @ss..." :queen: