Rope Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on that sailor's rope lighter. Boy what a great novelty! I can't wait to try it on cigars! That ember thing might just work with a good Cuban. I also can't wait to throw something on the grill so I can light the hellfire-chimney with the embers. Great great stuff.

But pipes? Seriously not on your Briar! The ball-cap doesn't seem to be very reliable and you have to take it out of the rope perhaps every other light. Further if you have to relight, forget about it as you have to use a lot of rope to get to the bottom of the bowl.

As Ozark wizard said, nice novelty but I will rely on my zippo. When you light something, especially in the wind, I don't see how you can fiddle and diddle with that ball and chain. How did sailors and trench warriors do it?

I've got a rope lighter I made years ago that I use now and then. It's pretty fiddley to use but I find that there are one or two blends I like that really do seem to do better for me when lit with the lower temp of the rope ember. I also have an ancient pair of cupped tongs for picking up an ember out of the fire to light your pipe with. That one it's important to know the wood being used as it adds a huge amount of flavor to your smoke

Jim