Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":13t5f5u9 said:
Mikem":13t5f5u9 said:
Don't have one but it is the next one on my list. Have Marlin's, a Winchester Model 94 Trapper and a Uberti 1873 with the octogan barrel, all 45LC and all fine shooters IMHO.
Which one is your favorite 45LC lever action rifle? One day, I want to get one. I know next to nothing about them, and haven't shot any lever-actions in 45LC--they've all been .357. I'd prefer a stout carbine, just as a truck rifle.

8)
For nostalgia you can't beat the Uberti 1873 with the octagon barrel. It is basically a replica of the old Winchester 1873 (top eject). It is a very well made firearm. The downside is that now they are going for around $1200. The receiver is case hardened and it has very nice furniture with a very smooth action. For an all around shooter/hunting rifle I prefer the Marlins. Smooth action and I like the side eject. Mine is an older model and I have heard rumors to the affect that their quality control has gone down somewhat. Again, just rumors I've heard. The one that is a nice shooter but kind of sounds like a John Deere tractor when cycling is the older Winchester Trapper. for awhile Winchester quit manufacturing the lever actions. I've heard that they have started manufacturing them again (by Maruko in Japan) but I haven't seen any personally. For a "Truck Rifle" my choice would be the Marlin, both because of cost and for durability. I'm sure others probably have a different favorite. I am still interested in getting the Rossi as it reminds me of the old Mare's Leg. I think that Henry also produces one now.

IMHO the recoil of the 45LC in a rifle is very managable. It has less of a "sharp" snap that the 357 has in the same rifle. The 45LC is more of a slow push. Remember the velocity is a lot slower and you are pushing a 255 grain bullet. I have heard that the 357 Marlin is a heck of a hunting rifle because of the increase in speed and ballistics coming out of that longer barrel.

Thanks Mike, interesting thoughts. I'd have a hard time throwin' around a $1200 rifle in and out of my truck, and as you said, the Marlin might be the best way to go. I'll keep an eye out for an older one (I prefer a good, old rifle with personality, anyway, dollar-for-dollar, too...) and maybe even in .357. 45LC is fine, but it's also an expensive round, and I don't reload. Looks like I'll have to see about a .357 wheelgun as a sidearm and get a Marlin .357 instead. Darn, more hardware? What a shame. :mrgreen:

PS, I save all of my 45LC brass for any of you that reload, in case that interests anybody.

Thanks again.

8)

The marlin rifles were taken over by remington in 2009, Their quality is hit and miss since. The good ones were made before the change in owners. Look for the JM stamp on the barrel in front of the receiver. That will tell you its a true marlin, and not a remington made marlin.
IMG292.jpg

Didn't Sturm & Ruger go corporate or something, too? I've heard some people who've been concerned about them going down the tubes, too. :|

I think its called the fredom group or some thing like that . who is buying all the gun companies up. They are still retaining the names but owned and run buy the fredom group. Scary isnt it when one high arcy is in control.

No problem, plumb...I know plenty of people that type proficiently and have little in the way of information, personality or thought...I'll take a few skipped letters or misspellings for good content any day. 8)