Ruminations of a Newbie Pipe Smoker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
I find myself fascinated with the variety of (non-aromatic) blends of pipe tobacco, and how the smell of a tobacco has the same effect on me as smelling a good chocolate or spice blend.

I am amazed at how well smoking a pipe out on my back porch can calm my mind and ease my stress.

I am pleased at how well coffee and pipe smoking can get along with each other.

I continue to be amazed at how long a few pinces of tobacco can last in a pipe, even in a smallish pipe bowl.

I am surprised at how smoking a pipe has given me a new appreciation for the human art of ritual.

I am gratified to see how, even though they differ widely in background, upbringing and life experiences, a motley group of opinionated individuals can come together as a community to support other like-minded folks.

Cheers.

Sounds like you're finding your pipe feng shui and chi or whatever. As for the compliment of the Brothers, here... I'm not so sure... god help us all if any of our minds are truly alike. :lol:

8)

(Seriously, though...you're obviously diggin' the new hobby!) :cheers:

PipeGeek":xgbnn8or said:
I am gratified to see how, even though they differ widely in background, upbringing and life experiences, a motley group of opinionated individuals can come together as a community to support other like-minded folks.

Cheers.
Nicotine can have that effect on folks that would be considered "normal" otherwise :p

I love the fact that it greatly clears my mind of stress and anger while allowing constructive projects around the house in! Sitting in a comfy camp chair while sitting by a firepit increases it as well.

Perspectives matey...and it does help me as well. Good thoughts btw!

Very good, PipeGeek. Brings to mind an anti-smoking tract I once read. When the writer came to the venerable briar, he quoted an M.D. who said his BoB patients didn't show the same symptoms as smokers who inhaled, and although he might offer them a pro-forma caution about the general dangers of smoking -- he did not urge them to stop. Why not? Because it was his observation that pipers were moderate smokers and used their pipes as part of a relaxation technique which involved a familiar ritual, promoted controlled breathing, combatted hyperventilation and provided a comforting time out. Besides, in his experience, pipe smokers died of old age, often in their sleep. IOW pipe smokers gain therapeutic benefits that offset potential dangers. Nice comments, PG!

I agree completely pipe geek. While this started as just a hobby to give me something to occupy my time with, it very quickly became so much more than that.