Rumor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlateauGuy

Reaction score
I'm hearing that Kyle Black has popped up again (anyone who has been burnt, knows who I'm talking about). Does anyone know if this rumor is true?

In the past he has also gone by the name of Anthony Combs, ebay: lauyrn000francis and has used Briar as a forum name. He has shipped out of Manvel and Seabrook, TX

PlateauGuy":w6lollib said:
I'm hearing that Kyle Black has popped up again (anyone who has been burnt, knows who I'm talking about).  Does anyone know if this rumor is true?

In the past he has also gone by the name of Anthony Combs, ebay: lauyrn000francis and has used Briar as a forum name.  He has shipped out of Manvel and Seabrook, TX
I bought a Kaywoodie 39 on the Bay. Auction closed on the 31st. I paid within minutes of auction end. Electronic shipping info was received on 4/2. It has still not shipped. I sent a message and got the "busy - had to go out of town." His wife was going to drop it off today. Tracking shows nothing.

Except for the fact that this is a (very) low $ pipe, my first thought was Kyle Black.

PlateauGuy":aesur4a8 said:
I'm hearing that Kyle Black has popped up again (anyone who has been burnt, knows who I'm talking about).  Does anyone know if this rumor is true?

In the past he has also gone by the name of Anthony Combs, ebay: lauyrn000francis and has used Briar as a forum name.  He has shipped out of Manvel and Seabrook, TX
What did you hear?

The turd that won't go away......
He was getting dealt with by local Law Enforcement and an Attorney who is well known in our "community".

I have posted quite a bit on this assclown here and on other forums.
Here is just one posting from B.O.B. : https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t24806-ripoff-alert-kyle-black-from-texas?highlight=kyle+black

I just read this on another forum. I'm not surprised, a leopard cannot change his spots. It can't be about the money for him, not with that motley collection of items.

Smokey-smokey":xuicoway said:
Can someone please enlighten me? Who is this Kyle Black?
Check this link out, it should explain most of it. All in all he's just another Internet scumbag.

Kyle Black

He might also be going by the name of Daniel Gilliam.

This might just be a rumor, but it's got the community's attention.

I messaged him that we were watching him.

I received a few messages from him thru Ebay:

First he replies:
(I assumed he was referring to his rip-off trade with me, detailed in 2011 here).

Later this message:
Tonight, a 3rd. In this message he claims to work with Kyle but he is not Kyle Black. He's worried about his Ebay rating (which is pretty good with a fairly high count).

That's all too much of a coincidence for me and knowing the habitual liar that is Kyle, I'm unswayed.

I'm not Kyle, who's Kyle? Oh, yeah, I work with Kyle, and I know all about your previous bad deals with me.... Errrr, I mean with Kyle, and I cheated guys here like Kyle, but I'm not Kyle. I can't believe you don't believe me!!

Here is the message I got from Dan (I call him Dan, he calls me Jack.  At least one of those names ain't real, I know for certain.):

Jack,
I am not nor have I ever been Kyle Black. I do however work with him and apparently have been dooped just like sevral people before me. I purchased the items you saw posted by me from him after I who knows nothing about pipes or tobacco saw what apeared to be a good deal. I was misslead by him and I have pulled all of the listings. After doing a google search of his name I found out all of what he has done and do not in any way shape or form want to be asociated with him. I have worked very hard to maintain a positive image on ebay and have almost 500 positive feedbacks to back that up as well as 2500 on my business acount. I will no longer list any tobacco related items due to what I have now found when searching my name. I am very upset and hurt by his betrale and I hope that this can be passed around the pipe comunity as easily as it was to tarnish my name. No money ever got echanged and no sales ever were completed I sincerly want to rectify this transgresion. Please except my humble appology.

- danielgilliam

Richard Burley":wywm2skq said:
Here is the message I got from Dan (I call him Dan, he calls me Jack.  At least one of those names ain't real, I know for certain.):

Jack,
I am not nor have I ever been Kyle Black. I do however work with him and apparently have been dooped just like sevral people before me. I purchased the items you saw posted by me from him after I who knows nothing about pipes or tobacco saw what apeared to be a good deal. I was misslead by him and I have pulled all of the listings. After doing a google search of his name I found out all of what he has done and do not in any way shape or form want to be asociated with him. I have worked very hard to maintain a positive image on ebay and have almost 500 positive feedbacks to back that up as well as 2500 on my business acount. I will no longer list any tobacco related items due to what I have now found when searching my name. I am very upset and hurt by his betrale and I hope that this can be passed around the pipe comunity as easily as it was to tarnish my name. No money ever got echanged and no sales ever were completed I sincerly want to rectify this transgresion. Please except my humble appology.

- danielgilliam
Interesting. The listings have been legitimately pulled though.

Hey guys,
Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't often shop on ebay and, when I do, I'd like to avoid getting ripped off.

This Kyle Black, does he only rip off pipes and tobacco?

Also, I was under the impression that a good ebay rating with strong numbers behind were a good thing. How can this Kyle get so many good reviews on ebay if he keeps ripping people off?

I read the posts on the link Cartaphilus posted (Thanks for sharing that link, by the way) and saw that all the rip offs were pipes and tobacco, I was wondering if this Kyle is known in other circles too?

One last question. How do you know that the Daniel Gilliam who had stuff on ebay this time around was either Kyle or an associate?

Smokey-smokey":b52lpwcx said:
Hey guys,

Also, I was under the impression that a good ebay rating with strong numbers behind were a good thing. How can this Kyle get so many good reviews on ebay if he keeps ripping people off?
To clarify this statement: I don't mean to say I don't believe you were ripped off, I read the post again and thought it could come across that way. What I meant was: are those ebay ratings reliable?

Sorry If it came across the wrong way.

Smokey-smokey":10fs294g said:
Hey guys,
Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't often shop on ebay and, when I do, I'd like to avoid getting ripped off.

This Kyle Black, does he only rip off pipes and tobacco?

I read the posts on the link Cartaphilus posted (Thanks for sharing that link, by the way) and saw that all the rip offs were pipes and tobacco, I was wondering if this Kyle is known in other circles too?

One last question. How do you know that the Daniel Gilliam who had stuff on ebay this time around was either Kyle or an associate?
The ripping off on eBay is quite easy. The eBay rating system has changed substantially the past few years. It is near impossible to leave negative feedback nowadays without going through three-to-four weeks of eBay's "problem-solving" system. The product Daniel Gilliam has been selling is not 100% a scam. He was selling tins of Rattray's tobacco, just with improper dates. This was what the hooting and hollering was about over that. Also, no one ever clearly said Daniel Gilliam was Kyle Black. He was just likened to him because of the general type of scamming going on and his location, which is remarkably the same as Kyle Black. Pulvers caught wind of Daniel after a few of their customers got ripped on eBay by falsely dated tins of Rattray's.

On the other hand, most of Kyle Black's scamming took place outside of eBay and on forums, such as this one, which makes scamming all the more easier. He would offer up trades, get what he wanted, and never come through on his side of things.

Kyle Black is not the only rip off artist on eBay nor the last, there are many and I know this from having dealt with a lot of them. One was restoring antique electric fans, another was restoring vintage small appliances, and another selling estate pipes and still is surprisingly. So no matter what side of the street you walk on your bound to run into one of these low life's sooner or later. Ya just gotta check feedback and check it well from both ends, do your research on what your buying. Although this is no guarantee that you'll not get had , it'll reduce the chances greatly, take it from a guy that's been had on several occasions.