Running Low on Escudo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canicus61

Reaction score
Opened my last tin of Navy DeLuxe - - probably my favorite VaPer - - I know some say Dunhill's Navy Rolls are close or the same, but I prefer Navy DeLuxe for whatever reason..... reason for my post is I'm looking for suggestions on a good on-line dealer to purchase from - - I've been a frequent flyer with both Smokingpipes.com and Pipes & Cigars - - wondering if you guys have any other suggestions for on-line purchases, with price forst consideration and availability and service a close second.....I treat those tins like my favorite single malt bottles, but the navyDeLuxe is becoming my favorite go-to - especially with my morning coffee......anyway, any suggestions appreciated.

BTW, and other lesser-known VaPers you might suggest?

Thanks all -

I like smokingpipes.com for their availability and price, and I believe they're easy to work with but so is 4noggins and I think their Escudo prices are nearly the exact same price.

As for other VaPers... bought two 250 gram boxes of SG St. James flake last month and don't regret it one bit! Also really like St. James Woods by McClelland. I know those really aren't lesser known, but worth mentioning in my book. Hope you get lots of good suggestions, Canicus.

Thanks - I haven't tried either of those though I hear them mentioned alot - - guess smokingpipes is the best retailer out there - - have to make an investment in some real good VaPers - and try and broaden my horizons - been a lat lover for the most part but enjoying VaPers more and more lately. My pipeful of Escudo tonight was one of the best smokes I've had....LOL....

Ah, I love a morning/evening bowl of Escudo! I try to take breaks from it, I enjoy it more that way but might have to tap in to my Escudo stash soon. I'm a Va/VaPers guy first and foremost but am slowly getting in to more lat blends. I have a few GLP Balkan/English to open soon.

I'm trying to resist having another! Maybe a Haddo's will calm me down...lol

Aside from Smoking Pipes and 4noggins, I shop with Mars Cigars. Mike Rupp is a really nice guy. They have a good selection too. Escudo is very reasonable through them, little bit cheaper than Smoking Pipes.

DrumsAndBeer":0s7mphj5 said:
Aside from Smoking Pipes and 4noggins, I shop with Mars Cigars. Mike Rupp is a really nice guy. They have a good selection too. Escudo is very reasonable through them, little bit cheaper than Smoking Pipes.
Good point. Their prices are pretty good, but do they offer free shipping for orders over a certain price? I don't order from them bc they're a PA shop and I get charged tax if I were to buy from them.

Old Nate":2tqbqfix said:
Good point. Their prices are pretty good, but do they offer free shipping for orders over a certain price? I don't order from them bc they're a PA shop and I get charged tax if I were to buy from them.
Not sure about free shipping with Mars, Nate. But if you don't feel like spending 99.00 bucks on an order, and you're okay with paying a bit of shipping, all packages from Mars are a 6.95 flat rate.

I just bought 8 tins of SG baccy from them and shipping was 6.95. If I placed that same order with anyone else, shipping would be 5-8 dollars more. If I go over the 99.00 mark with SP.com, I get the free shipping (which is awesome) but UPS Ground to California is usually a 1.5 to 2 week wait.

DrumsAndBeer":sr2nikuj said:
Old Nate":sr2nikuj said:
Not sure about free shipping with Mars, Nate. But if you don't feel like spending 99.00 bucks on an order, and you're okay with paying a bit of shipping, all packages from Mars are a 6.95 flat rate.

I just bought 8 tins of SG baccy from them and shipping was 6.95. If I placed that same order with anyone else, shipping would be 5-8 dollars more. If I go over the 99.00 mark with SP.com, I get the free shipping (which is awesome) but UPS Ground to California is usually a 1.5 to 2 week wait.
Good points. I'm lucky in that it's usually only a 2 day wait on anything I order from sp. One thing I don't like about sp.com, do they ever have a sale? Ever? And I'm not talking about the 10% on Orlik they just had, like a legitimate decent sale.... or free shipping on a $50+ order instead of $99... I don't think they do.

I can't see a VaPer post go by without singing the praises of GL Pease's Telegraph Hill.

Buy in bulk from SP and save. 10% off 25+ tins.

I'm VaPer fan and I have 3 favorites besides Escudo, Solani 633, PS LBF, etc.

1) My goto everyday VaPer. McClelland 2015. I've never had a bad smoke, ever. Cube cut, gravity load, light tamp and heaven. Goes with water, tea, beer, rum (especially well), lemonade, well you get the idea.

2 & 3) Hearth and Homes Aj's VaPer and Louisiana Red. These are not my everyday but I'd call 'em my "every week". In fact I seem to enjoy AJ's more than Escudo but that may just be me settling in to my tastes. More sweet than hay.

In fact, I do not think I've had a VaPer that I didn't like as long as the baccy stays with being a core VaPer. I've recently became hooked on Sutliffs Court of St. james. A VaPer with a touch of Latakia. Maybe give that a shot for a change.

SP does run sales regularly. Sign up for their twice-weekly newsletter and you will be apprised.

And my go-to VaPer has consistently been 2015 bulk. Pretty good prices from SP as well.

I'm a VaPer ho!

Cheers,

RR

From an Escudo fan, don't forget about Bullseye Flake! It's a terrific alternative, and you can't beat the price. Yes, it's a little different, but pretty darn close. I always have some on hand here. Since it comes in bulk you can really stock up on it, too.

pt-glk0056.png

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice - I'll post what I get next - - I'm looking forward to expanding my VaPer stock.......I think I have a ton or Orlik Golden Slices somewhere now that think of it.....as I recall I didn;t think it had much Perique but it will 'buy' me some more time....

I'm a big fan of Tsuge Raijin. Everyone has the ingredients listed wrong, P&C is the only place I've seen it listed correctly. SP is wrong and Tobacco Reviews is wrong. I thinking TR actually has Raijin and Fujin's ingredients swapped.

Through the kindness of Nate, just had a pipeful of St James Flake and thoroughly enjoyed it - a bit spicier and sweeter than Escudo but a real good VaPer nonetheless and smooth from start to finish - really a great smoke in my Peterson 2012 Christmas bent Bulldog......the more I try these VaPer blends the more I like them - and while I'm pretty omniverous and always preferred Latakia blends, the VaPer is fast becoming my favorite smoke when I'm relaxing and really enjoying my pipe(s).......fighting the urge to have another! Many thanks nate - and this is on my next TAD attack list!