Rust advise

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some really good How To and Why things on uTube or in blogs that have tons of great info.

So you're going to

1. heat your steel to anneal (re-align the crystals) or "soften" it.

2. Heat it again to forging temp the hammer it til the crystals are jammed tight again...

3. Reheat as in number 2...

4. And again and again...til you have your shape.

5. Then carefully quench it in Olive Oil or whatever.

6. Grind or file your final shape, including edge to the width of a dime.

7. Once cold again you'll treat it in your oven to temper it...like 400F for 20 minutes or whatever...then turn the oven off and let it slowly cool with the oven overnight. ( one of several methods to temper and the most important).

PS: you'll want to know exactly what steel your blade is...5160 spring steel makes a great machete/knife...etc.

I used all hardwoods and a mix of charcoal when I needed to forge. A friend of mine uses coal also. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Coal = a few dinosaurs + a whole lot of ferns and cycads + extreme pressure and about ten million years...etc.

Yeah, so not gonna be making much of that any time soon.

Maybe Trump will keep coal legal.

Let's hope he dose. I have been makeing some charcoal buy ya. When you burn the Coal think of the death. Lol

He's been talking about energy independence so he's going to rein in the EPA. Didn't help Hilary at all when she told the coal industry that she was going to put them out of business.

Rust... I can remember using a pad of tin foil on my old stainless steel bike rims. Worked a treat as I recall. Not tried it for a long time though and would perhaps cast a more critical eye over the practice. Might be worth a go though on something less treasured to see the results...

arkansaspiper":z5c8z54r said:
Dose any one know how to get rust off well. I have just found out my mother in law put one of my 500 dollar guitars out in a shop basily......
Inquiring minds need to know...

Did you put the MIL out to pasture?

Blackhorse":n7qq4uq5 said:
Aluminum foil is still a great cure for rust.  Make a wad...then scrub. It works very well.
The Coca Cola and aluminum foil trick is popular down here in auto shops.

Well I can't. My wife would never give me any ever again if I did.   Butttttttttt I used to be a studio guitarist. I played in studio.for cds and such. This was the guitar I played a lot and I'm just sad about it.

Just don't say what your wife won't give you anymore, you might get in trouble....lol. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!