Rusty Nails

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick

Reaction score
Who likes em ???

and what whisky do you like to use??
Teachers Highland Cream is a favorite but hard to find.

I, personally, like blends in my RN cause when I fork out the dough for some single malt (which AINT very often).....
Im only adding 1 ice cube to my dram.

There's not much point in using a super premium single malt in a mixed drink, any good blended scotch will do. I like Chivas Regal, and light on the Drambuie with plenty of ice.

Thanks PD, and I agree.....

I guess my question should have been: what "cheap" blends will make a tasty RN ???

I'm thinking of buying some J&B , Dewars or something like that (not the 12 year old cause I like that neat) but not sure which to try.

I make mine with Dewar's white label (the cheap stuff), because that's what Grandma drank.

But my parents had a huge bottle of Johnnie Walker Black that they encouraged me to polish off (good parenting skills!) and it made a velvet-smooth rusty nail. Doesn't really count as "cheap"... but it was free for me.

In any case, I'm in PD's camp: lots of ice, little dash of Drambuie.

My go to blended Scotch is Grant's. Great for scotch and soda; just fine in an a Rusty Nail. And...I do prefer my RN's on the dry side! Mo' scotch, less Drambuie :cheers: FTRPLT

My go to blend is Famous Grouse.
Makes decent Rusty Nail if I go light on the Drambuie.
It makes an even better Scotch and soda.

Johnny Walker Red Label is what I use for mixed drinks (and for the occasional swig, too). What can I say? I'm devoid of imagination...

Also Johnnie Walker Red Label since I have a jug of it left over from last years xmas party. had two last night with some University Flake :drool:

I enjoy Dewar's and Tamdhu both. The better Scotch probably bothers my wallet and my palate has not developed a taste for most of the single malts. Some time back a friend of mine made a drink which he calls "the Irish nail". He uses Old Bushmill and a dash of Irish Mist and serves it on the rocks, quite tasty.

Here we are again............

Havent been around in awhile but I was looking to swap some baccy and me integrity was questioned (30/30 thang) so thought I'd check in and see if I had missed something. Nope. Good to go.

Quick story and then I'll be off: I like to bowl and when I do, I like a cocktail or 2.
Usually its a bourbon and Dr Pepper but this year I was into the Rustys.
Our usual barmistress pours a pretty good one with Clan McGregor as the whisky. I know, right? But heres the thing: its pretty solid
I get a good drink at a great price and the bar uses up their Drambuie. Win Win
But...................and this is for all yall who are superstitious: since I started in with the RN's, our team has been in a slump and I aint been pullin my weight.
So, last week we bowl the 1st place team and I switched back to the Bourbon and Dr P's
I bowl great and we win all 3 games.

Moral of the story: I'll sip the Rusty's at home from now on

I usually use Famous Grouse which I find to be really flavorful for some reason or Chivas 12.

For bourbon drinks, especially Manhattans I usually mix with Maker's or Bulleit, & I make my own bourbon soaked maraschino cherries.