Ruthenberg Bite Through

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I tend to chew on my stems of my better smokers. I have chewed the center of the top of the button down and cracked it. I can feel the top of the stem behind the button kind of springy. This is a bent apple with a killer ringblast, that has an ivory band on the stem. I just know that stem is going to have a hole in the top of it at some point.

Carlos":t12z0g1h said:
I tend to chew on my stems of my better smokers.  I have chewed the center of the top of the button down and cracked it.  I can feel the top of the stem behind the button kind of springy.  This is a bent apple with a killer ringblast, that has an ivory band on the stem.  I just know that stem is going to have a hole in the top of it at some point.    
If it is a pipe you want to keep, keep smoking and enjoy it... repair options abound on the Internet.

I have had pipes with holes in their stems... I just put 'em further into my mouth, hold 'em and puff away.

You can always get a replacement stem. Unless, of course, you're talking about expensive pipes... that's a whole 'nother thing.

Best,

I had a Patent Dunnie where I did he same thing from the bottom of the stem. Since I can't stand those rubber bit things, I filled it in with super glue. It didn't get any worse after that. In fact, the shank cracked before the stem went. That, btw, was plain stupidity on my part. I figured I'd try a different stem as to not wear the original out. "Hmm, this one kinda fits. Maybe I'll just push...."  :cry: 

Is your stem vulcanite or acrylic? With vulcanite the superglue just forms a hard surface which can be scraped off easily. It doesn't actualy bond with the rubber. I've never tried it acrylic. That might be more permanent. YMMV.

Carlos":ccsb3a24 said:
I tend to chew on my stems of my better smokers.  I have chewed the center of the top of the button down and cracked it.  I can feel the top of the stem behind the button kind of springy.  This is a bent apple with a killer ringblast, that has an ivory band on the stem.  I just know that stem is going to have a hole in the top of it at some point.    
Well don't that just suck all to heck!

I'm a biter/chewer too, and have had a few stems that were at risk of the same thing. Tried the rubber bitey bits but they never felt comfortable.

Had to have a bunch of stems refurbished by a couple folks who know their stuff before I managed to bite all they way through. Now I'm trying to concentrate on clenching less. Mo difficult while at the keyboard. Have to force myself to put the pipe down, or type with one finger.

Hope you can get those stems fixed up Carlos. As you'll know there are some reputable folks who do a great job of repairing or replacing.

Cheers,

RR

Although I'm not much of a clencher I always use a softy on my bits so I won't even leave chatter.
I have a friend that chews the hell out of stems and eats softies like they were bumble gum so I know what your talking about. All I can say is stop chewing while you smoke or you'll keep pipe repairmen and carvers in business.  :D 
I'm sure he'll cut you a new stem if ya ask though.

This is the pipe.  Well, when it was new.  See that big hunk of white.  That's ivory.  I think I could fix it if I had a lathe and knew what I was doing.   :lol: 

ruthen10.jpg
" />

Sorry about your stem.
I'm a clencher and use the softie bits.  Once you get used to them they are quite nice.  They save on jaw fatigue too.

Cartaphilus":62w93cqv said:
Although I'm not much of a clencher I always use a softy on my bits so I won't even leave chatter.
I have a friend that chews the hell out of stems and eats softies like they were bumble gum so I know what your talking about. All I can say is stop chewing while you smoke or you'll keep pipe repairmen and carvers in business.  :D 
"Bumble Gum". Awesome!

Cart, you should write for the New Yorker!

Dramatwist":mpwx3w74 said:
Cartaphilus":mpwx3w74 said:
"Bumble Gum". Awesome!

Cart, you should write for the New Yorker!
Sure, but they'd have to change the name.

MisterE":1aah3t05 said:
Carlos, it's obvious that pipe's no good now. Better pack it up and send it to me. Really, why suffer anymore?
8)

snicker snicker :roll: :roll:

Brian is a member.
Why not have him do the repair / replacement? :suspect: 

Carlos I understand your problem. Every pipe I own has my teeth marks on the stem and eventually some will have hole where they have been chewed through. I can't stand those rubber things and refuse to use them. I will continue to smoke and bite the stems but I'm not going to fret the issue. I'm not planning to sell any pipes that I smoke and if I chew a hole through one of them I'll send it off to be repaired. My advice is just smoke them and enjoy them. Have someone repair any that develop holes and save your worry for the bigger issues like having enough tobacco in your stash to last the rest of your life in case the government tries to tax it so heavily that no one can afford to buy.  :) 

AJ

OK Carlos,
Now let's see a recent picture of that pipe and show us how it has colored up nicely. That pipe is certainly worth having a new stem made. I know Brian's pipes don't come cheap but worth every penny. And what a blast on that baby.
 :) 

It is a beauty.  Here are some pics.  Not the best.  Could not get the hamshack computer to download them for some reason.  So it had to wait till now for me to post them.  You cannot see the crack well.  You can see the crack and the chew marks in the button.  But the crack goes in the stem.  If I keep smoking it I suspect I will bite a big hunk out of the top of it.

Not near as blond as when it first arrived.

r_b_2010.jpg
" />

r_b_2011.jpg
" />

r_b_2013.jpg
" />

r_b_2014.jpg
" />

r_b_2015.jpg
" />

It's done some nice coloring sir, you really ought to ask Brian to cut you a new one.
I tried to clean up your photo's a bit, hope you don't mind.

You can kinda see the crack better. I get the right tooth on the top of that bit and it gets real springy. I haven't pestered Brian with it yet. But I will. One of my best smokers!

Carlos":qbwhnkv6 said:
You can kinda see the crack better.  I get the right tooth on the top of that bit and it gets real springy.  I haven't pestered Brian with it yet.  But I will.  One of my best smokers!  
It's really not that bad looking, I've seen a whole lot worse, as if a rat chewed them.
In the mean time it looks like it could be repaired until you get a new one.
Be surprised what a like epoxy and or Black super glue can do, pretty sturdy stuff.