S. Gawith Golden Glow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootist51

Reaction score
I purchased 2 tins of this medium Virginia and upon receipt found the seal on one tin broken, so I decided to give it a try.

This, apparently, begins life as a flake, but is much more broken up in this tin. I am led to believe that it is found in bulk as S. Gawith Medium Flake, but as I said it is broken into 2 1/2 inch strands.

The tobacco color is a golden hue with small traces of grey scattered throughout and smells sweet and natural to me.

This tin is moister than I anticipated, particularly given the broken seal, however, I decided to chop up a bit into a more square cut and give it a try.

The charring light produced 3 or 4 puffs of thick sweet smelling smoke before going out.

Second light continued sweet and enjoyable and lasted about 1/2 way down the bowl with no relights or tamping required. Just prior to the bowl extinguishing a faint citrus flavor was detectable.

After a very light tamp and relight the citrus was more pronounced and continued coupled with the sweetness til the bottom of the bowl.

Overall I found this to be a very mild and enjoyable smoke and look forward to playing with the cut of this blend a bit, as well as comparing bowls as it dries out a bit.

Golden Glow seems to be an excellent smoke for the really hot days ahead and if this proves out, I will try it in the bulk for of Medium Virginia Flake.

This is not a very complex blend, no bells or whistles, but very pleasant to smoke, particularly in the shade with a cool drink near at hand. It is a simple, natural smoke and at the prices it is available at, I would definitely recommend it for those looking for a nice Virginia to wile away the hot days of Summer with.

shootist51

This is one of my favourites, kept in tins, and "aged" for only 3 months, when fully dried out (almost to the point of crispy) this is one fantastic early morning smoke, which in the current warm weather, sometimes leads to the best part of the day before hitting FVF. :D

Hi Tony! How are things across the pond? :)

I've smoked a few tins of this and agree with shootist 100% about his review.
I don't get to smoke until evenings so I prefer something stronger than this blend.

Winslow :sunny:

shootist51":554lpkid said:
I purchased 2 tins of this medium Virginia and upon receipt found the seal on one tin broken, so I decided to give it a try.

This, apparently, begins life as a flake, but is much more broken up in this tin. I am led to believe that it is found in bulk as S. Gawith Medium Flake, but as I said it is broken into 2 1/2 inch strands.

The tobacco color is a golden hue with small traces of grey scattered throughout and smells sweet and natural to me.

This tin is moister than I anticipated, particularly given the broken seal, however, I decided to chop up a bit into a more square cut and give it a try.

The charring light produced 3 or 4 puffs of thick sweet smelling smoke before going out.

Second light continued sweet and enjoyable and lasted about 1/2 way down the bowl with no relights or tamping required. Just prior to the bowl extinguishing a faint citrus flavor was detectable.

After a very light tamp and relight the citrus was more pronounced and continued coupled with the sweetness til the bottom of the bowl.

Overall I found this to be a very mild and enjoyable smoke and look forward to playing with the cut of this blend a bit, as well as comparing bowls as it dries out a bit.

Golden Glow seems to be an excellent smoke for the really hot days ahead and if this proves out, I will try it in the bulk for of Medium Virginia Flake.

This is not a very complex blend, no bells or whistles, but very pleasant to smoke, particularly in the shade with a cool drink near at hand. It is a simple, natural smoke and at the prices it is available at, I would definitely recommend it for those looking for a nice Virginia to wile away the hot days of Summer with.

shootist51

I am about to the end of this first tin of Gloden Glow and it has stayed very consistent through several different pipes.

The only thing I have noticed as it has dried is that it lights easier and though the citrus undertones have fairly disappeared, the sweet hay flavor seems a it more pronounced.

This suits me as I particularly enjoy the sweetness. Again, it's not overly complex, but a very enjoyable hot weather smoke.
shootist51