S&R Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up this interesting pipe for a song. The rim had me at first thinking it was lined, but a closer look makes it seem to be a rusticated ring around the rim. The one side shows some birds eye grain, but needs a good cleaning. This maker was a husband and wife out of Ohio. Here is a link. I'd say this is my first artisan pipe, if I understand that correctly.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/S&R_Pipes
20230420_160345.jpg
20230420_142424.jpg
20230420_161405.jpg
20230418_125240.jpg

Where did you find it? They are good pipes, I have a couple of them around here somewhere. Roswitha was at the Columbus Pipe Show in 2019 and had a table with some of her pipes. I ordered a tobacco sampler from them back in the early 80's and there were some pretty good blends, but mostly aromatics. Here's one of my S&R pipes:
S-R-bulldog-002.jpg

Where did you find it? They are good pipes, I have a couple of them around here somewhere. Roswitha was at the Columbus Pipe Show in 2019 and had a table with some of her pipes. I ordered a tobacco sampler from them back in the early 80's and there were some pretty good blends, but mostly aromatics. Here's one of my S&R pipes:
S-R-bulldog-002.jpg
At an antique mall. That's great to hear. I found an old thread on BoB where @monbla256 (RIP) mentioned how he ranked them highly. Yours looks great. Is that the original stem?

At an antique mall. That's great to hear. I found an old thread on BoB where @monbla256 (RIP) mentioned how he ranked them highly. Yours looks great. Is that the original stem?
As far as I know it is original; I got the pipe second-hand. You have good luck at antique stores! The antique stores near me never have any good pipes or there is someone who beats me to them.

As far as I know it is original; I got the pipe second-hand. You have good luck at antique stores! The antique stores near me never have any good pipes or there is someone who beats me to them.
There seem to be a good number of pipes around here, but I'm not sure why. One line of thought is there being a military base nearby. I figure those service members go abroad a good bit, and maybe they bring back pipes. I did find an old Vauen that I thought may have come from Europe, as it didn't look to be sold in the US. There are several cigar stores near that base, so cigar and pipe smoking is popular. I'd figure around you up in Oak Ridge there might be a lot of pipe smokes too. But that increases the competition for antique store deals. I've been told about other guys that come in the stores I frequent, who are also looking for pipes. I still haven't lucked up on that elusive Dunhill!