Sacrilige!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoodby

Reaction score
After some talk about cigars versus pipe I want to try actually smoking a cigar in a pipe for the heck of it. Yes, I agree it's probably going to be awful, but I'll live.

How best to cut it? Would just slicing it thinly from the end be the same as "circus roll"? (I have yet to look up how to smoke that, but I know it's out there)

doing it for science!

Plus, then I can add small amounts of the remainder to bowls when I want, sounds like fun.

--Alex

You will regret even trying. It will quickly turn into a solid plug of tongue-annihilating steamy wetness you can hardly even get air through, requiring a dig-out, a re-pack with pipe tobacco and smoking to toast the swampy nastiness out of your pipe before it "sets" and sours it.

:cat: :face:

Yak":86o07l98 said:
You will regret even trying. It will quickly turn into a solid plug of tongue-annihilating steamy wetness you can hardly even get air through, requiring a dig-out, a re-pack with pipe tobacco and smoking to toast the swampy nastiness out of your pipe before it "sets" and sours it.

+1 ! A cigar's a cigar and a pipe's a pipe. Keep 'em that way :twisted:

Wow! Now I HAVE to try it... though your description really may be enough to satisfy my curiousity... Sounds like another candidate for my plastic pipes to save the briar!

--Alex

monbla256":uo8iqmoj said:
Yak":uo8iqmoj said:

+1 ! A cigar's a cigar and a pipe's a pipe. Keep 'em that way :twisted:
Amen to that, brother!

As a kid, I knew a fellow that would smoke his cigars to the point that most would consider done and rather than discarding the butt would let it go out and save the butt.

Later he would shove the saved butt into a pipe, leaving as much as a couple of inches above the rim and then light it and smoke the rest.

Always seemed to me the pipe would be just one big smoke of dottle, but to each his own.

There was a discusion at my pipe club about old pipe smoker habits. Two guys each said that their respective grandfathers would smoke a cigar down to a stub and then finish it off their pipes. I also know a guy who saves the tips he clips off the end of a cigar in a fishbowl, then shreds them and smokes them in his pipe.

If were you, I would slice it into disks and then rub the disks out as much as a possible. Or, you might try removing the wrapper from the filler and shredding just the wrapper to smoke. That would probably give you the best quality smoke.

I tried it because my Grandpa said he used to do it. I have to say that my grandpa must have had the worst taste on the planet or the biggest stones to finish a pipe of a cigar. I cut part of a Drew Estates Tabak Especial up into a bit of ribbon and tried it. Never ever ever again will I do something so stupid.

It seems to me that the smokers of old used their tobacco and pipes in much the same way that cigarette smokers use cigarettes today.

I don't think most of the old timers were really "connisuers"(sp.). I think, in many cases, particularly in the midwestern U.S., it was just an enjoyable experience and it really didn't matter much what tobacco was smoked, or in what pipe it was smoked. I don't think most of them had the luxury of ALL of the variations in tobacco, nor the interest.

When I was a kid, there were one or two fellows in town that smoked pipes that were either Dunhills or equivalent, everyone else smoked "drugstore" pipes, Kaywoodies, Medicos, Dr. Grabow and got their tobaccos in the same drugstore!

Occassionally, someone would have to travel to Indianapolis or Chicago on business and might stop into a tobbacanist, and pick up a tin of something exotic, if it wasn't too expensive and possibly even comment on it when they came home.

As a kid I can remember the local Osco Drugs having the most extensive selection of tobaccos in the county, names I remember are Balkan Sobranie, Flying Dutchman. By the time I had reached my teens and taken up the cob, while fishing, I remember having a conversation with the druggist, a pipe smoker, and being told that Balkan Sobranie, in his opinion, was just nasty,LOL.

When I told him I didn't care for the aromatics that he recommended, he steared me to some virginias and the "drugstore" blends. Because of the price I picked up some Half&Half...the virginias were pretty expensive at almost a dollar a tin.

Anyway, my point is that in my area, folks were frugal and smoking was always considered a luxury. Most of the old timers wouldn't have cared if a shop only carried one brand of tobacco, they just wanted some tobacco and the idea of spending tens of dollars, let alone hundreds of dollars on something to burn tobacco in was ludicrious.

Oh well...I guess those were the good old days

Ah, all these reasons why it's awful. Well, it won't hurt me nor my venturi (plastic) pipe, definitely worth a shot just so I can say with authority "that's not a good idea" :)

awoodby":9zekd088 said:
Ah, all these reasons why it's awful. Well, it won't hurt me nor my venturi (plastic) pipe, definitely worth a shot just so I can say with authority "that's not a good idea" :)
So, if someone tells you "... don'y drive your car into that brick wall ahead" you would do it anyway just to say you did it? HMMMMM :twisted:

Nah, that would hurt my car!

Can I see your keys for a minute?

--Alex

Yeah, well if you cut up and rubbed out a piece of your cigar and smoked it like pipe tobacco, you're head might spin. Did that once with a Cuban Bolivar Robusto and couldn't believe how much stronger it was compared to "normal" pipe tobacco.

I remember as a kid attending cattle auctions with my father. One thing I remember is the farmers smoking cigars in their cobs upside down. They'd cut the cigar in two and stuff half in the bowl and light up, then turn them over. It's weird the things you remember

one night while drinking (a lot!) I took a cigar and when it got too short to hold I just put it in one of my Savinelli's (320) and smoked it all the way down to ash!
I remember thinking I liked it! But I also remembered a $85 bar tab and a trip to White Castle so I can't say the entire night was full of good ideas.

Lol. I hear that! And I too have gotten to that last couple of inches, the best part, and always am stopped by burnt fingers... I think I'll try that next good cigar as well, will likely be more successful than the "chop up the cigar" plan lol.

--Alex