Sad day today

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for your loss Brewdude. Good pets are family, unconditional buddies.

People laugh when I tell them about my good furry friend, a Dutch rabbit (my daughters pet), who for some reason has taken to me. She quite the ham. She hangs out with us while we watch movies at night, sits in our laps, licks our feet, begs for food, and runs laps around the couches for attention. As far as small pets go, she's grand & I will miss her dearly when she's gone.

Tonight, I 'll raise a glass to Gomez.  :D

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to deal with the pain of loss, even when we know it's the right thing. They ask for so little, and give us so much. My thoughts are with you. It's been almost a year since I lost Stella, and I still tear up when I think of her. Take your time to honour his life, and grieve his passing. You are amongst those who understand.

Been through that several times with dogs. I know how you feel. I like my dogs better than most people. After we put my last dog down last year I said no more because it hurt so much. I now have a pack of 4 rescues ranging from 15-70 pounds.

cigarsarge":5qsrhoya said:
Been through that several times with dogs. I know how you feel. I like my dogs better than most people. After we put my last dog down last year I said no more because it hurt so much. I now have a pack of 4 rescues ranging from 15-70 pounds.

Good for you...I have 2 myself.  They make the best friends...sometimes they know what they came from all too well.

By way of a postscript to this thread, I brought Gomez back home today.

I had a private cremation done, so now have his ashes in a very nice little box with a brass nameplate on it. The box is made out of some kind of hardwood, stained a nice respectful dark red. Kind of looks like a small cigar box!

The private cremation wasn't terribly expensive, and I chose that over burying him in my backyard to honor his memory. So he's now occupying pride of place on my fireplace mantle. Guess I can still talk to him this way when I feel lonely for the little guy, which is often these days.

RIP my little buddy.

:cry: 

Cheers,

RR

I wanted something similar to that when my parents put my dog, fritter, down. She was an Austrian shepherd. They said no, but they gave me her collar. I keep a picture of her on my nightstand by the bed. When I feel bad like I need a hug, I get her collar out and hold it... her scent is starting to fade away. I really miss her. Brewdude, I wish I could offer you more than just words. Sometimes the language we humans use feels inadequate to express the feelings we feel, but I totally can relate to your feelings... all we can do is treasure the time we were given. I'm glad you knew him, and thankful for the time you shared together.

I have 2 of my feline companions cremains in their respective urns, and they are never far from my thoughts. I find some solace in this poem, author unknown...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Hopefully, in time you will another feline companion that will fill your life with joy.

We all find a way to keep those loved ones close.  I dedicated a section of land amongst some trees for a small cemetary for our "kids".  Buried my "baby" back there where she can keep an eye on things and still be lead dog to her brothers, and where we can look out the kitchen window and see her spot complete with flowers and gravestone.  It is big enough to be able to accomodate the other two boys when their time has come so they will all be together on their home turf.  It is some comfort to call out to her in the mornings...tell her to keep an eye on the place..I can almost see her running...barking orders.  She and they will always be in our hearts and on our minds.
They are still family.