Sad morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterE

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
One of my colleagues in the orchestra passed away this morning. He had a massive heart attack during rehearsal and we lost him right there on stage. I've never seen anything like that before. It sobers you up very quickly. Obviously all activities were cancelled.

I spoke with him about ten minutes before it happend. He was looking very pale and I asked if he was okay. He assured me he was fine, so I didn't worry about it. Now I'm kicking myself for not saying something to the personnel manager or the orchestra physician.  

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

I have not but could not ever imagin the pain and sorrow you feel it's not your fault and I hope those it's sad and hard that you know that your friend died doing what he loved

I had a client about 8 years ago that I did a lot of display cabinet work, vintage woodworking restorations, etc. He had me working on a very sad looking English park bench. Teak wood on wrought iron frame. When I told him the cost of acquiring real teak and milling it to the original dimensions (super expensive, like scary) he didn't bat an eye. I had it all but assembled, brought the parts to him, and we talked about it, set a time to have me come out and assemble it over 100 year old single malt and a pipe. (Both, by the way, he was not supposed to indulge in any more, but he figured it was a special occasion, and his wife was gone overseas visiting family, so what harm could it be? She was due home that morning. I had a feeling in the back of my head I should have talked him out of indulging, but he was a personality type that would pat me on the head and say, "Bobby, I'm old enough to know what's best for me. When you get my age, you'll understand......."

We drank and smoked and I listened to his stories about the war over there, how he got the bench and how it was the one he proposed to his wife on. It was pretty late when I left.

I got a call from his wife at the airport. He had not come to pick her up, and asked me to drive her home. I had nothing scheduled, so I said 'sure', went to PDX and drove her to Charbonneau Golf Course, where they lived. When we came in, I saw he was sitting in the same chair, pipe I one hand and snifter in the other, looking out at the course. Well, not looking any more.............

The medical examiner put the time of death about an hour after I left. I told her what had transpired, and rather than being upset with me, and him, she said it was good that he got to talk to someone before he passed.

It was good that you were there to show your colleague some compassion and concern before he passed. It seems that any time is a good time to die, and you blessed him with your company before his passing. We are often all too busy flitting about to appreciate those around us.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss brother. Don't beat yourself up about it. Thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

Sorry for your loss E. Looks like it was just his time to go.

Somewhat similar thing happened years ago when I was welding. I came in in the morning and went into the break room where we all sat drinking coffee until the shift buzzer rang. We were all sitting there at the table and in came Ric, who ran the burning table. Mumbled 'mornin' and he went up to his work station like he always did.

Not a minute or two later, one of the young guys came rushing downstairs and asked if anyone knew anything about first aid - Ric was passed out on the shop floor.

We all bolted for the shop and found Ric spread eagled in the middle of the floor. Kenny the lead man started doing CPR, even though he hadn't had any formal training. Someone called 911 and the Paramedics got there in 5 min and took over.

He was rushed to the hospital, but found out later that day he didn't make it. Massive Heart Attack. Ric was only in his 50's, and later Kenny said Ric once told him he had a bad ticker. It was just his time. That was a very sad and strange day.

No Cheers,

RR

Truly regret your loss. Don't beat yourself up; these things happen. "What if'en" won't solve anything; your friend and colleague would tell you that if still here. You honored him by caring!! :( :( FTRPLT