Sad News: Jay Jones

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
I have some very sad news to report.

Jay Jones of Hermit Tobacco departed this Earth on the morning of 11/16/2011. His loss is deeply felt by everyone in the pipe community from colleagues to customers. He will be greatly missed.

My heart and prayers go out to Jay and his family and close friends. May he transition into the unknown peacefully and may those he left behind be comforted in their hour of grief.

Sincerely,
David Huber

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this. I sent you a PM as well, David.

Sad to hear that, I never had the opportunity to try any of his blends. From what I've read, a big loss to the pipe community.

riff raff":2c53i7lm said:
Sad to hear that, I never had the opportunity to try any of his blends. From what I've read, a big loss to the pipe community.
Truly. Some of my favorites are the Capt. Earle series. I've got a 1lb block of Diamond Head broken and stuffed into two mason jars. Stimulus Package is also a fantastic English.

I suggest that the ideal way to honor the man would be to pick up a few tins of his fine blends and smoke them in his memory.

UberHuberMan":vza44ukq said:
I have some very sad news to report.

Jay Jones of Hermit Tobacco departed this Earth on the morning of 11/16/2011. His loss is deeply felt by everyone in the pipe community from colleagues to customers. He will be greatly missed.

My heart and prayers go out to Jay and his family and close friends. May he transition into the unknown peacefully and may those he left behind be comforted in their hour of grief.

Sincerely,
David Huber
Truly sad and shocking news, David. Jay will be much missed. He was a colorful guy, for sure, and an important member of the pipe community. My thoughts go out to his friends and family, and especially to Louise.

I'm shocked! My condolences go out to Louise and the family. Just terrible news.

A very sad day indeed, farewell my friend. My sincere condolences to Louise, I shall always treasure the good times we have had at all the shows.

I'm truly sadened to hear of Jay Jones passing. Easily one of the most interesting men that I ever had the pleasure of knowing. He and his wife Louise were great friends to me back in my collecting days. I would call him a couple of weeks before the yearly New York show in March and have him bring all sorts of things along to temp me with, usually old ephemera and advertising items. I have many old Dunill catalogs that came straight from J . He loved to haggle price and he was a master of friendly negotiations...

Though, he forwent the traditional "nite before" event in the last years I attended I would still meet up with them both to sample bourbon and just talk pipes. He was almost larger than life and it's hard to imagine him not being with us anymore. J

Just shocking and depressing news...