Sad Sad Day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Venturer

Reaction score
My Dad stopped over the other night came in and we had a beer and he said to me " I am gonna ask you to do me one favor and I will never ask for anything again". He asked if I would take his dog of about 13 years in to get him put down. I told him I would as I know how tough this can be, I have probably seen my dad with tears in his eyes a couple times in my 45 years and it pains me. The plan was for me to wait until he left on a hunting trip this week but now that has been cancelled due to weather. He just called me and asked if I could come get Raven (his Lab), I can tell he has tears in his eyes as he is talking to me on the phone.
I had to take my Springer of 15 years in a few years back to have her put to sleep and I am not ashamed to say that I cried like a little school girl when I did it. Which is exactly what I am starting to do as I type this.It is truly amazing how much a pet can become part of a family. Thanks for listening (reading)

I just returned home from the vet and decided a bowl of "Man's Best Friend" was in order.
Thinking that Raven is no longer in pain.

This is tough for sure, and I feel for you.

I have a 13 yo lab myself, and while quality of life has been very good, she is showing her age more this fall/winter than ever before.

"Man's Best Friend" was a good tribute bowl...

Kent, we went though this a few years ago and we still warmly remember our beloved dog and our lives together. My heart goes out to you and your Dad. Glad you're enjoying the Man's Best Friend, buddy.

05, it is a sad day.  It must have been a tough thing for you to do.  It is amazing how attached we are to our dogs.  Since losing our "member of the family" we have remained dogless as we didn't think he was replaceable.  My heart goes out to your father.

sorry man, I cried like a baby when I had my dog put down

rev

tough time for sure, lost our Chocolate lab a fews years ago, it was like losing one of my own, Sorry for your loss

It's hard just reading about this, let alone having to go through it. Sorry, I hope you and your Dad get through it well.

Brian.

My lab is getting feeble and it hurts to know what the future holds. They say dogs don't have a soul but I think somebody read that tablet wrong -- truly can be man's best friend.

Had to do this too many times. Tears my heart every time. Our dogs just get to be a part of us. Bless your heart!!!  :( FTRPLT

I understand my wife and I cried like babies when we had to do the same.

Doesn't matter whether it's canine or feline, what you just been thru has to be one of the hardest things to do. I know it has been the three times I've had to do it with three of my kittehs. I know it doesn't sound like it but given the particulars it's probably the kindest thing you can do for him.

Really feeling for you Buddy, although a feline my cat who was with me for 14 years died in my arms, I held her face to my own as she heaved her last breath and howled like a beast as her contorting body went limp. I know the pain you and your father are enduring, you never ever forget them but the pain really does ease in time, I still get the odd sobbing fit here and there when I think on my Cleo but the deep ache I endured every waking moment is no longer with me, just as the pain you and your father are enduring will come to pass, try to help each other stay strong, I know it is hard to believe now but the pain truly will ease, be thinking of you and your father, be well and safe journeys to you both.

Having had to do the same thing on more than one occasion, I can fully empathize with your feelings right now ... just thinking about those experiences brings back a flood of memories and even this many years later, comes close to bringing more tears to my eyes ... we lost our last (and best ever) dog about 12 years ago and have sworn we'd not allow ourselves to be put in that position again ... no more dogs.

But, my youngest son has two dogs, one of which is more than 10 years old now and he's almost like one of the grandkids ... so, however much we've thought we'd avoid that sad experience by not owning another dog, I can see we're fated to have it happen yet again at some point ....

Best wishes to you, 05 ... and to your dad as well ...

It is a sad thing for sure....they own a part of our hearts....we cry for them...and for us.  The loss is sometimes...unbearable.

Seeing how animals and dogs in particular are treated in other parts of the world (as well as our own back yard), we can only rejoice that we did the best we could for our friend..our heart.

You...and your father will always have that hole in your heart...but the memories will be worth it.

One of the toughest things a man has to do.

I feel for you and your father. :(

Sad, indeed. In never gets easy, losing a four-legged friend.

Condolences to you and your father.

I certainly know how a pet can become a dear family member, I've lost several
in my time and it's always hard. I tend to treat them better then people and always forgive them of there short comings because most treat us with loyalty and love that you'll hardly get from humans.
But, thankfully there is no hell for them so, when they go there in peace and I try to
keep that thought in mind when ever one passes. I think it's safe to say that anyone who loves there pet as we do knows yours and your dad's pain and gives you their condolences as I do.