Sad Story (Broken Tenon Help)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemelon

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I was packing for a trip down home, had my pipes chosen for the weeks away and put them on my desk edge for easy packing. Ended up knocking them off the desk and stepping on one. Didn't realize what happened till later but by then I knew where the snapping sound had come from earlier. Here's the damage:

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

I've removed the piece left in the shank, briar and stem are still in working order, so I'm looking at replacing just the tenon. What options do I have? Is this something I could do myself or would it best be left in more experienced hands?

Thanks for the link, Yak, and seconding, Brewdude and Monbla.

Is tenon replacement something I could do myself? I'm not opposed to sending it off if that's what it takes, but it looks like it'd cost near what I paid for the pipe.

That can be the rub. Is the money better spent as down payment on the replacement? If it is a great smoker, hard decision. I've several in the junk box suffering a similar fate.

Norwoodis a well thought of repair with good turnaround. But, its only a couple of bucks less.

joemelon":y1hn8ykj said:
Thanks for the link, Yak, and seconding, Brewdude and Monbla.

Is tenon replacement something I could do myself? I'm not opposed to sending it off if that's what it takes, but it looks like it'd cost near what I paid for the pipe.
$18 isn't a lot, including and especially knowing it'll be done right the first time by someone with much experience.

You could of course DIY, but then you'd still have to find a replacement bit.

Just my 2c FWIW.

Cheers,

RR

My single favorite pipe probably cost me (1974 is a long time ago) $20.00 + (in 2007, with postage both ways) $80 for a new stem from LL & de-tox. The "spread" on others has been even more extreme.

These are pipes you're talking about.

$100 for a world-class pipe that's killer beautiful & has a ton of history behind it ?  Sure !  8) 

:face:

I have seen a tenoning tool that you could insert various size spuds into that would shave down the tenon in step. I wonder if they still make them?

If you were as clumsy as I am at times, it'd be a good investment.

As a pipemaker, I'd suggest sending it off. It can certainly be done as a DIY project at home, but while it's not terribly hard to do right, it's pretty easy to mess up. For $18 bucks I'd send it off and know it was done right and that it will be a flush nice fit.

Just my two cents.

$18 is a third of a tank of gas, a couple of fast food meals, a twelver of yard-mowing beer. Do without just one of those this week and fix the pipe, man ;) !

The easiest thing to do is STOP SMOKING a PIPE :twisted:  The you don't have ANY expense! that looks likes a nice Sav that has been well enjoyed so for me it would be worth the $s to get repaired correctly. Dependeing on your repair skills and equipment available to you, you could attempt your own repair, but if it's not done correctly you will be out something you enjoy as you will not like it. Broken stems, tenons etc are just a fact of life for a pipe smoker over the years. Find a good repair service, send it off, get it done correctly and be done with it ! :twisted:

Floyd Norwood is quicker and cheaper, about $16.50 I believe.
Check his website. He's a good man, I've known him for a few years now.

Floyd Norwood

A little reality check here to re-emphasise what seems to be getting lost :

$28 (with postage) to fix a $15 pipe that you like = $45 tops. For a pipe ! How many bargains like that are you going to run into ? And probably (depending on who does the tenon), with a better airway than it had originally.

You can't beat that with a stick.

:face: 

The amount of tools required to do the job yourself properly is pretty daunting and it really is so easy to make a tiny mistake, but it's a tiny mistake will ruin the pipe. Up to you of course Buddy but if you're at all unsure of doing it yourself then maybe consider sending it off to be repaired, wouldn't it be awful if that tiny mistake happened!

I feel like the prices everyone has mentioned are so low I wouldn't even blink at spending it. I would be trying to decide if that particular pipe was dear enough to me to warrant an upgrade to some of the richer services like a new handcut stem.