Said goobye to a wonderful man on the weekend.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawker

Reaction score
Just back after saying goodbye to my father in law on the weekend. He was a wonderful man that will be greatly missed. He lost his fight with COPD & CO2 retention on Feb 8th and we bid him farewell on Feb 15th.
Although he believed in God he wasn't a church going man so we sent him off the way he wanted to go. He was an oldtime cowboy a bit rough around the edges but with a great sence of humour.
He didn't want a traditional funeral but requested a "Happy Hour" (which lasted from 3 pm till 4 the next morning). There were over 500 people in attendance and the event was MC'd by my brother in law & nephew
who did an amazing job keeping the service light hearted and funny just the way he would of wanted it.

One of his favorite places to be was the backyard fire pit spending time with friends and family.
I havn't wrote a poem since my grade 9 english class but at 4 am one morning this just came to me so I went with it and thought I'd share it with my Brothers of Briar. It's called :

The Backyard Pit

Ashes to ashes
Dust to dust.

It is here that we have chosen - In this place
To lay Lyle to rest - With Gods Grace.

It's where special memories have been forged with fire & smoke
That we all got to share Lyle's wit and banter with a joke.

It's where Beer, Wine, Rye Whiskey & Rum
Have been enjoyed by all - In excess by some.

It's where Cig's, Pipes and a few Cigars
Have brought us all closer - under the stars.

It's where we've been blessed to see - That twinkle in Pa's eye
When Shane pulls out his guitar - And begins to Kyeye.

We bid you farewell knowing - You'll be watching from above
When we carry on this tradition - We know that you loved.

This bowls for you Lyle.

Sorry for your loss brother. Indeed sounds like he was a good man.

Sorry for your loss, and good job on sending him out in a manner he would have appreciated.

He sounds like a wonderful man, Kevin.
May the smoke from our pipes carry our love and prayers to the heavens above.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Beautiful poem.

My condolences brother. May we all be so lucky as to be sent off in such fine style.

I agree with Brewdude; an excellent send off, one we could all wish for

Brewdude":y01zzb3w said:
A fine tribute to a fine man.
Agreed.  I'm very sorry for your loss, and your poetry to do tribute to the departed was very touching.  All the best to you and your family and friends in this time.  Raising a pipe to you.

Please accept my sincere condolences sir.
He sounds like he was a man I could relate too.
And that's a wonderful poem for him sir.

Thanks for all the heart felt condolences Brothers, means alot.

That is a heck of a tribute to a life well lived. My condolences to your family.

Oh, the truth in that poem says it all. Thank you for letting us see a pinprick of his life and what he meant to you.