Sailor 1911 Ivory - 14k Music Nib

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Another new one ordered. Really looking forward to this...a Music Nib.

Sailor 1911 Mid-Size Ivory w Gold - 14K Music Nib

Closed Length 5"
Posted Length 5.7"
Barrel Length 3.7"
Barrel Diameter 0.5"
Section Diameter 0.4"
Ink Capacity 0.9 ml
Filling System Cartridge-Converter
Cap Type Threaded
Clip With Clip
Cartridge Capacity 0.9 ml
Converter Capacity 0.5 ml
Postable Postable
Pen Weight 19.6 g

<h3 class="post-content"> </h3>

Carlos...given that every maker’s Music Nib is designed a bit differently...I picked the Sailor for it’s reported smoothness and being more “stub like” than others.

So four pics. None of my scrawl...maybe someday to that. But first, a Music Nib Pen (when used to actually write music) is held at 90/degrees to the page and lined up so the thin lines go vertically and the thick lines are horizontal. When held normally it acts like a big wet stub.

First the music writing grip...then three very different examples...

Them is cool pens. I've been tempted for years to buy one with a stub. May I ask your source? A fair number of pen emporia don't sell those, I've noticed.

Richard Burley":trkpeqi5 said:
Them is cool pens. I've been tempted for years to buy one with a stub. May I ask your source? A fair number of pen emporia don't sell those, I've noticed.
For this kind of thing I carefully choose from the “nibs.com” site (Classic Fountain Pens)...where one of the top nib guys in the country adjusts the nib to write the way YOU tell him you want it. I got the Waterman Carene from here too. He does that for every pen sold there. Impressive.

Other than that I bounce between...

Goulet pens
Jet pens
Pen Chalet
Vanness Pens
...and a few others...Anderson’s is good too.

(Just google the word and you’ll find the related site)

Between those four I go with the best price, etc.

Lastly...you can get some very good stub pens for not much ($10-$20) or medium ($50-$80) or a lot ($100-$250). I don’t buy pens for more than that as I value my life too much.

I have also bought on eBay from one or two Chinese sites or directly from Japan for some incredible Japanese pens...Pilot & Platinum pens direct from Japan cost half what they do here!

PS: If you really want a stub, I’ll dig around here and send you one to play with...gratis.

Blackhorse":ntrs4ua6 said:
...If you really want a stub, I’ll dig around here and send you one to play with...gratis.
That is a most generous offer, David. I base my wish for a stub only on its description, not experience, so perhaps actually trying one would be the intelligent thing to do.  

Yes, nibs.com has an excellent rep, but that pen is not in stock there. I wondered how long it takes to receive one after ordering.

Look here...

https://www.nibs.com/pens/sailor/sailor-1911-mid-size-ivory-gold

But you might want to start with a Pilot Metropolitan 1.1 Stub or a TWSBI Eco with a Stub nib. I have several TWSBI pens and I really think highly of them. I just love seein’ that big ol’ tank of ink.

(Just got a bottle of Organics Studio Thoreau - Walden in here from Vanness. Since it comes in a plastic bottle I ordered an empty Noodlers glass bottle, etched with “Organics Studio - Walden” on it. Vanness sold the empty for $2 and etched it for free. Nice. And...GORGEOUS ink. Insane sheen!)

Richard - wanna try a stub nib...at not too much cost...and don’t need to have it in hand this week?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duckbill-Gothic-parallel-art-flower-body-Flat-Tip-Tibetan-Arabic-Fountain-Pen-/132446941799

These come well recommended via a trusted source. And at a buck fifty apiece...well, let’s just say, they’re affordable!  I like 1.1mm and 1.5mm. But I have several .8mm stubs that are nice since you can write smaller with them,effectively.

A set of six for under ten bucks?!?

Check out the review on uTube...

https://youtu.be/xhlSFspppfY

Photo from eBay...

A stub! I can relate to that. I have a Bexley with a stub. I do like it for how interesting it writes. But you have to pry the Pelikan's out of my fingers first.

Ordered an Eco 1.1 from Goulet. Really great idea, trying a cheapo first. What's with the pic above? Are they holding the pen at 90 degrees, or don't I know what the hell a stub is? I was first attracted to the Italic, but nibs.com said they require more experience, dexterity, skill, whatever. Yes, I've used a calligraphy pen--but not for general writing. (I used to do rough ad layout for car dealers, something done much easier with a computer now.)

Good for you. Like I said, I love TWSBI stuff.

The photo of the grip, above...that’s apparently how you’re supposed to hold a Music Nib Pen when writing music...with the bold marks going horizontally and the fine marks up and down.

Like the image below...

I love this stub nib on the Eco! It's friggin' perfect for my writing style. No learning curve whatsoever. The effect perfectly matches a dip pen I used to use with a Speedball nib. Now the question is whether the Sailor will perform as well as this inexpensive pen. (I have a hunch it will.)

Lamy makes a number of their pens available with the 1.1mm stub too. And if you have other Lamy pens that take the standard nib, just get the nib and swap.

Pretty sure you can get other nibs for your TWSBI too.

PS: glad you like it. Fun, eh?

If you want a NICE SOFT nib it's WONDERFUL ! I have the same model Sailor with the Music nib which I got 2 years ago and have used it in my weekly rotation of 4 pens. i keep it filled with Waterman's Havana Brown ( oops now called Brilliant Brown! ) . This nib is very similar to the B, OB Post War  ( 1946 thru 1960 ) German pens made by Pelikan, Geha, Kaweko and pre- 1960 Mont Blanc. These German nibs as made back then were not as rounded as B nibs are today so they give distinct thick/thin strokes. If you like writing with thick/thin strokes you will definately enjoy this pen !! For the money it's well worth it ! :twisted: